How do I get my 3 year old to stop being so whinny?

No matter what the situation is she will whinny and cry over everything. It drives me crazy.

Becky111209

Asked by Becky111209 at 7:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• this worked with my daughter when she would start whinning I would tell her no whinning if she continued I would turn my back to her until she stopped if she got worse instead of better I would say mommy needs a time out I would walk into the next room where she could not see me but I could still see her and hear her when the crying and whinning stopped I would re enter the room tell her mommy is so proud of you for being a big girl and not whinning and crying then I would give her a great big hug. by ignoring her crys and tantrums but praising her for being good she soon learned that the attention she got was much better when she was doing good things rather than behaving badly
    one_white_rose

Answer by one_white_rose at 8:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Stop acknowledging the whine. When she whines, ignore her. But make sure you ALWAYS respond positively when she is speaking/acting correctly.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:38 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• ditto
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 7:40 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• she is looking for attention. my dd was the same way. when i started to ignore it she toned it down a bit. show her that it wont get her anywhere.
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 7:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• My daughter just turned 2, and she has changed 180 degrees within a week, and she is doin the same thing, i just ignore her..and let her cry it out even though its the most HORRIFYING cry haha....but mommies know when something is "REALLY" wrong...just be cautious and listen to the cry making sure she is OTAY ;o) it will get better
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:36 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Naptime.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 3:52 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Tell her you r not going to talk to her unless she talks like a big girl. If she continues, put her in her room until she gets a grip. It works for my boys.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:42 AM on Nov. 9, 2008