Should I stay or move???

I'm 34 years old and a single mom.I live in a low income apartment.The question is,should I buy my own place or stay where I am? The way I figure is if I save my income taxes the next few years I can buy my own place paid for.and not worry about a mortage payment.My credit is ruined due to my ex husband and our divorce.My friend at church seems to think my mom is keeping me in poverty cause she tells me to stay where I am.Cause my rent is low,close to work and school and they have maintenance here if I need repairs.I've always wanted my own place for me and my kids.I'm torn down the middle here and need some advice.Help!  No Bashing!

alisha34886

Asked by alisha34886 at 5:02 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I honestly think you need to do what is best for your family. Its seems you are in a great location renting but I understand that at some point in your life you want a home that is yours. I would probably stay where I am until I could afford the house I really wanted.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 5:14 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• agree with the previous poster. If you get THAT much tax return to buy a house in a few years you are making lots of money anyways and can afford to buy a house anytime.
    But is yiu neighborhood now save? I would agree with you and would rather like my own house.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 5:08 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Well how much is your income tax return, unless you plan on living in a shack, I don't see how 3 or so years of tax returns will buy a home.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:04 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Also keep in account your annual renters rebate.... more $$ to go towards a house. Have u considered applying for habitat for humanity too?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:06 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• There is more to owning a home than just a mortgage. What if the ac needs to be repaired? the roof needs replaced? property taxes? Also, I agree with Domonique, how is 3 or so year of tax returns going to buy a home outright?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:07 PM on Dec. 18, 2010