Has anyones children ever...

I woke up this morning to my 4 year old with a golf ball sized knot on the left side of his neck. It is so swollen it looks like it is connected to the side of his face. Anyway I took him to the e.r. because his doctor was closed. The e.r. doc said that it is coming from a viral infection. He has been sick since Tuesday. But no fever or anything. Just runny nose coughing and sore throat. I was hoping it would run its course since we have all had it and it did just that. I am so scared for my little guy! I wish I could make it go away but I dont know how. Can anyone give me suggestions beside giving him motrin. He is getting it around the clock. Please give me any advice you can..... Thanks so much!

mommyoftwins213

Asked by mommyoftwins213 at 5:37 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Did teh ER doctors tell you to give him anything? If not I'm not sure what you can give him. If it is not better by tomorrow you could always go back and ask them to check him out again. Usually viral infections need to run there course. I don't think there is anything that you can give him to help.

Sorry and Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• i dont know anything else besides motrin but i hope your little man gets better!
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 5:43 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• you might try ice packs on the swollen spot.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 5:50 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• id say some baby benadryl...to help the swelling a bit.
    chanelsparkels

Answer by chanelsparkels at 5:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• viral well that's weird the same thing happened to my ex and after much blood work and scan's it turned out being celulitis they gave him a good antibiotic and that was the end of it but the dr said that it tends to come back and one of my friends side of her face was swollen and it ended being a bite from a spider she had poisen .those black widows are where you least expect it .as far as your little one warm wash cloths on it allways helps or cold if its itchy . But i have never heard of a virus swelling a person like you said seriously if the swelling doesnt drop id wait for the shift change in the ER and go again
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 5:54 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• unless he has a fever dont give him motrin it contains aspirin and it thins the blood and if the Dr didnt give him anything it may make things worst
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 5:55 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I hope the docotr gave you something! My daughter use to get Mersa and they gave her meds for it to go away
    Augusta

Answer by Augusta at 6:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• GO back to ER! That is very odd that the doctor didnt tell you what to do for the swelling.
    TiffanyPlew

Answer by TiffanyPlew at 6:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• All he told me was to give him motrin to bring swelling down some and give it a few days.It should go down. He did tell me if it gets bigger or more painful bring him back or take him to his dr. He tested negative for strep and his ears are clear. Like I said he does have scratchy throat. You can tell by the way he sounds when he talks. He is playing around and laughing and stuff. He ate supper pretty well. I just can't stand to look at it. I know it is painful.........i feel just terrible for him. I would rather be sick than my kids be sick. I always worry when my kids are sick......
    mommyoftwins213

Comment by mommyoftwins213 (original poster) at 6:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• give him Tylenol instead of Motrin since the hole diagnosis is shady to begin with Tylenol wont have effects and i cant believe he didn't give your little one something a scratchy throat does not justify a lump the size of a golf-ball yup and MRSA is a good example as well antibiotics like levaquin gets rid of them here are good examples of what im talking about http://children.webmd.com/tc/swollen-glands-and-other-lumps-under-the-skin-topic-overview
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 8:23 PM on Dec. 18, 2010