When did you start bringing your baby to the dentist?

I've been brushing DD's teeth at least 1ce a day since she sprouted a tooth. My ped. told me to ask my dentist when they would like to see her... and they told me when she's 3 years old. I just got an email from babycenter.com and there's a video attached that says to take them to the dentist when they sprout their first tooth! I just thought that was quite early...

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 5:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• 2 years old, as that's when my daughter's ped told me to bring her in. First time visit was just a play with the tools, get familiar with the dentist and atmosphere kind of visit, second visit a couple weeks later was a cleaning.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 6:45 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Per the advice of the American academy of pediatrics I did it shortly after their 1st tooth erupted.
    Anything past 18 mos. is flirting w/ disaster. Their can be hidden baby cavities and also separation and stranger anxiety is more common then
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:50 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I took my oldest son to the dentist the first time when he was 3. I will take my youngest who is 14 months old to the dentist when he is 3. I think when they first get teeth is too young. My son loves going to dentist BTW.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 6:08 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• old not olf of course......I am a dork.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• 3yrs old was when i started taking my kids to the dentist
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 5:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• if the dentist is saying 3 years old, they are not qualified to care for your child. you really need a pediatric dentist. they get many more years of specialized care. it's not a luxury or unnecessary specialty, it is someone trained expertly on teeny tiny teeth which are entirely different from an adults mouth and also they have skills on keeping a child happy, safe, and loving the experience.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• the reason you're supposed to take 'em when they're teeny tiny is (other than to develop a rapport w/ the dentist so there wont be fits and resistance later on) is because unless you're a dentist yourself, you don't know when there might be hidden problems and they also show you the proper way to care for their teeth

added bonus: you need a standing relationship w/ the dentist in case of emergency. if your child knocks a tooth out or hurts their mouth at 6pm friday night they wont care or help unless you're an existing patient
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:12 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• 2-3 years olf.
    Melbornj

• As a former Dental Assistant I started all 3 of my boys when they turned 2. My oldest was great, he went back on his own got in the chair opened wide and had the exam and prophy! My 2nd and 3rd were apprehensive and it took them a few visits before they were able to sit in the chair and do the exam and prophy. The office I worked at was a "general dentistry office' and they would see children starting between age 2-3. For very young or apprehensive children you may want to consider going with a pediatric dentist-- since their office caters to children and is more 'child friendly' (meaning less 'scary looking') than a regular office might be.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 6:23 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• We go to a pediatric dentist. They asked us to wait until they were 3 because any earlier is too difficult because they are less likely to be able to follow directions, sit still, and not bite.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 6:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2010