So my beloved Puggle has been missing since the day before THANKSGIVING...(not christmas, oops) is it too early to get another puppy?

He ran away, or was stolen when he was out playing in the yard for just a few short hours... :( im still very upset about this, I loved that little guy.. we only had him for a year.. so its very sad.. my 3 girls under 5 yrs old all loved him. he was the perfect, sweet, inside dog, and yet very playful............we havent had any luck in finding him.. or anything.. we also have a german shepherd who is an outside dog for the most part...... who seems super lonely now!!

My question is, do you think its too early to get the girls another dog? Maybe a girl this time so I dont feel like im trying to replace my little puggle?... & maybe a smaller dog, who will strictly be for inside? im also pregnant, due in 3 months.. is that long enough to get this puppy potty trained???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm pretty sure OP knows what comes along with being a responsible pet owner. She mentioned in her question that she has a German Shepherd.

Answer the question, don't lecture. That's so pointless/ridiculous/

Sorry OP for ranting on your post. If your family is ready for another pooch, I say go for it. Potty training shouldn't take long, and if YOU feel that YOU are ready to add a new little guy/girl to your furry family, then by all means do it!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 6:59 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Well, that isn't much time before the baby comes and the baby could come a little early. It might be better to wait until the baby is older since your other children are so young
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• He has been gone for a year? I think that is more than enough time to get a new one. Now getting him house trained might take him a bit longer than that. And bringing a baby and new dog into the house at the same time might be a bit much.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• im sorry,i mean THANKSGIVING!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:01 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Yes, i have taken care of many dogs--haha! grew up w/ tons of them as well as helped my hubby train his police dogs! Im just unsure if getting another one so soon is the right or wrong answer!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:03 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• did other dog have collar with a contact # or a microchip. i got my chih. 4 years ago from the pound and it was a total of 120 but they put a micro chip in her and spayed her too. i think she was 3 when i got her. she is only7 pds so she has snuck out of the gate several times. im glad i have a collar on her go to the pound if your going to get another dog.... and micro chip it
    Rydersmommy616

Answer by Rydersmommy616 at 8:55 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• yes, the puggle was microchipped! We have been told he was more than likely stolen.

we constantly checked the pound :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:58 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I don't think 6 weeks later would have been too early to get another dog. You're not replacing your specific dog, you're having a dog. They're not interchangeable, but they are all dogs. If you want to live with a dog, and want to train a dog every day of its life, and want to take care of the dog's needs for its whole life, you should have a dog.

If you don't, you shouldn't. They're not learning toys, or inanimate objects --they're needy, high-maintenance live animals that require responsible, realistic care every single day they're alive.

Since I'm unwilling (and uninterested) in doing what it takes to own a dog responsibly, I don't have one. If you're willing to do it and capable of doing it, it doesn't matter how pregnant you are or what anyone else thinks about it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2010