Do you think a nursing Mother should cover or remove herself, when nursing in public? adult content

This may have been asked previously, but I'm in a "hot" debate with my brother. As a breastfeeding advocate, I see no reason why a child should be forced to enjoy their meal in a bathroom or sweat ferociously buried under any type of blanket. I think men are selfish to wanna try and compete with or intrude with baby's nursing time and insecure about their wife nursing in public. The wives who complain about a nursing mother being disrespect intimidated by a body part?

Ewadun

Asked by Ewadun at 6:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I nursed and while I have no problem with women who do not cover, I always used a cute spit up clothe over my boob so that I was covered but my baby was not. It's more about my insecurities ( I have have small boobs). One time in a resturant, I started breastfeeding (again my boob was covered) and the waitressed told me that they have a nice chair in the bathroom for me to "do that in". I asked her if she planned on eating her food during her break in the restroom. Then I asked to see the manager who, as it turns out breastfeed 5 children lol. We got our dinner for free (me and everyone at the table) and the waitress was either fired or sent home for the night. If I am at a resturant and someone isn't comfortable with me breastfeeding then THEY can eat in the bathroom!!!!!
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 6:54 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Cover, yes within reason. I do not think in a room of people you should whip out your bare breast nipple and all .... but you SHOULD feed your baby. There's a balance where you, the child, and the passerbys can all be reasonably comfortable.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:41 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Absolutely not. I don't understand why people are perfectly ok with breasts when they are wearing tassels or are featured on beer ads, but are offended when they are nourishing a child.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:41 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I personally wouldn't have a problem with breastfeeding openly. I always made sure my breast wasn't visible though. I understand how some people are uncomfortable with seeing it, so covering the breast and baby's mouth makes sense for feeding in public, to prevent public exposure problems.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 6:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Cover them, yes. But I don't know any mom who would sit in a public place with her breast fully exposed. Most nursing moms use the covers and I think that's fine, I don't see why a woman feeding her baby should make anyone uncomfortable. I DO NOT think a mom should have to go to a bathroom or to her car to feed her baby.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 6:44 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I know it's not going to be the most popular answer here, but when I nursed I did not want to be exposed in public. I would go to the restroom to feed if out and if at a friend or family member's home I would ask for a private room and it had nothing to do with my husband, it had to do with the fact that I did not want my breasts exposed in public.  The maddest I can remember ever being at my mother in law was when she stormed in with a camera and took a picture of me breast feeding.  After that I locked the door when feeding around her.

Receiving blankets are not thick and heavy, but do cover well. I see nothing wrong with using modesty when breastfeeding. 

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:45 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I don't think a nursing moms needs to hide and be secretive. But, it is entirely possible to be discreet and breastfeed without smothering the baby under a blanket. There is a middle ground.

BTW, I am totally in favor of breast feeding and did it myself with one of my children.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 6:45 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• One of the reasons I disliked breastfeeding was because I was NOT comfortable breastfeeding in public and would leave the room to do so. If you don't want to hide while you feed that's fine. But I prefered to personally. Maybe you are feeding your baby.But that 45 year old single man who's never had a woman staring at your bare breast isn't thinking it's lunch time.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:57 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I a Mom that nursed all 3 of mine and prefer to cover up but that is my choice am not uncomfortable by my friends who do not cover. I would never go to a bathroom to nurse that is unsanitary and disgusting. Just like an adult would not eat in a bathroom. I always used crocheted blankets with huge holes in them so it never got to warm. I would wrap it around my back because to lift up my shirt exposed my back and I could not get comfortable and never bought nursing tops or bras.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:45 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I think they should cover up. I don't want my children seeing other women's breast while they are breast feeding. Yes they have seen me do it but its different and they never saw the latch on they saw him hidden under a light blanket. A women should want to cover up so everyone isn't staring at her big boobies :)
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 6:56 PM on Dec. 18, 2010