If so many Pagans have a problem with Llewellyn books, why is Scott Cunningham so highly recommended?

I've seen SO many questions involving Silver and other authors where the Pagans who answer say that it's not just them, it's Llewellyn in general, yet they'll turn around and recommend Scott Cunningham and other Llewellyn authors. Why? If you have a problem with Llewellyn, why would you recommend those books?

***I'm not talking about the people who name off specific authors that Llewellyn publishes, I'm talking about the people who make a generalization about the entire company and all the authors, and actually say that Llewellyn is a bad publishing company with crappy authors all around.

BTW: Just wondering what others think. I have books from several publishing companies because I read whatever I find interesting, regardless of the opinions of others.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 6:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• You know, I have no idea... I take author by author...
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 7:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• From: Star Trek Guide to Neo-Paganism

Llewellyn Publications - the Borg

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated. Your history and beliefs will become part of the Borg Collective, where they will be watered down and spread out evenly between everyone in our race. Lower your shields and hand over your money; resistance is futile.

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:50 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I have no idea. I like Llewllyn. I love Scott Cunningham. You have a point though.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 7:53 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• From a different perspective - I think it's like a music label that has one decent band by pure luck and 20 bands that are total crap, but they use the money they make off the good band to try and promote the crap bands in hopes one of them will take off.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:20 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My only beef with Llewllyn is that for a publishing house they are after the sale and not content. They don't have similar standards for publishing religious material as seen in Christian publishing houses like Zondervan. Too often I've gotten the feeling that anything that has a chance to sell get published. It's left me wondering if there is any deeper material trying to get published out there at all. I'm just not seeing it out of Llewllyn and that makes me wonder. But I don't go knocking Llewllyn. I like some of the authors they have and I have hope that maybe a really good author will come out of them.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:41 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Actually, I enjoy Llewellyn. My favorite author that they publish is Ellen Dugan.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:56 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I don't recommend Cunningham .. Llewllyn publishes anything and they do have some stuff that is decent but in the whole I have a few authors I recommend and stick with for recommendations but Cunningham is not one of them.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 11:18 AM on Dec. 19, 2010