if I bury a turkey in the snow

because I don't have room in the freezer, will it be okay I want to make it on christmas day--- when should I take it out of the snow to defrost, it was frozen solid when I buried it and the high temp outside runs between 2 and 13 degrees plus the windchill runs below zero

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Food & Drink

• laughingYes. You just brought back a memory of my mom doing that!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:25 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I dont know for sure but would think would b eok call the butterball hotline and ask

Answer by slyvester at 7:25 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• It should be fine. I would think you could take it out of the snow the same time you would take it out of the freezer.

Good Luck!

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:25 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• You would take it out two or three days before Christmas, unless you are going to do a force thaw, and three if you are going brine, because you want it all the way thawed.

Answer by lovinangels at 7:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• As long as there aren't any animals around I'd say your GOOD!

Answer by OBImomma at 7:27 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• It would be fine outside but you will need a few days in the fridge to let it defrost and it really depends on the size.

Answer by Melbornj at 7:29 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Can't answer your question, but it reminded me of my friend who didn't have room in the refrigerator for her leftovers after Thanksgiving so she kept them in the trunk of her car that was parked in the driveway. Temperature was in the 20's so it was plenty cold, but it still makes me laugh.

Answer by Dyndudes at 7:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• That is so awsome :-) I can for sure do that here considering the fact that average temps are 0 to -10

Answer by Dayija at 7:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Sure, it would be fine. I would bring it in to thaw about 5 days before you need it, my turkeys never thaw in the couple of days they say.

Answer by scout_mom at 9:13 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Yes, but I'd stick it in a cooler to keep any animals from picking at it.
    A refrigerator is 40F and a freezer is about 10F, so as long as you are keeping it in that temperature range of colder, it will be fine.

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:29 AM on Dec. 19, 2010