What can I do to help my 16 month old?

To talk more. He only says mama and dada. He has also said bye bye once and no once or twice. Is their anything other than reading to him and talking to him alot to help with this.

K3lly94

Asked by K3lly94 at 7:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What have your doctors said? They put my LO in speech therapy at about 14 months, I think. He didn't say any words until he was about 20 months old. Now he's 25 months and he's working on putting two word phrases together

Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 7:46 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Get him evaluated by a developmental professional. Couldn't hurt. Ask your doc about a referral to a birth to 3 program

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Nothing. Children talk when they are ready. He probably knows lots of words now, but he won't use them until he wants to talk.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• As you go about your day, talk to him non stop as you would an adult. Just talk talk talk. Eventually he'll pick up more.

"Good morning! How did you sleep? (pause) I slept pretty well but daddy was snoring! After we get you changed would you like some milk or some juice? (pause) Well you can show me in the kitchen. I hope it's nice outside today!!! Would you like to go for a walk later?" and so on
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:48 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I think children learn at different rates, particularly in something as difficult as language. My brother didn't talk until he was 4 and my parents were worried sick and, living out in Africa at that time, had no one to go to about it. Then my dad read that Einstein and some other famous people had not spoken until they were 4 or older either. After that, they just relaxed. Later he told us that he didn't talk because he didn't need to. My sis and I did enough talking for everyone. Ha! He has no trouble at all with speech, majored in English and PoliSci in college, went on to get an MA.
    However, if it really worries you, find a licensed professional and have them test him and give you a course of remediation. My son had all sorts of language problems and we have battled dyslexia and ADHD with him. Professionals have helped us along the way-- mostly in how to deal with our own feelings, fears, worries, frustration, etc.
    ChezBelle

Answer by ChezBelle at 8:03 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• At 16 months old he SHOULD be talking more. I had this problem with BOTH of my older children (my steps bio-mom did too, but she thought that it was a phase and they would grow out of, now those kids are so far behind in their language that they make my kids look smarter in comparison, and my kids are 4 years younger than the steps!).
    I took my LO's to the ENT doctor because their pedi wouldn't listen to me, and I found out that my daughter had 90% hearing loss and my son had 25% hearing loss due to fluid buildup behind the ear drum. They put tubes in my kids' ears and within 3 days I nocited my kdis picking up words left and right. They are seen my a speech therapist twice a week for 30 minutes each session, and they are doing, as previously stated, better than their older counterparts.
    Take your chid to a doctor! Hearing loss is NOT something to play around with, and it sounds like that is what you have going on.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 8:43 PM on Dec. 18, 2010