When they start asking questions..........

I was just watching the beginning of Polar Express and the main character's little sister was asking the typical questions about the existance of Santa. She even asked if he was real and the Dad responded that "He's as real as Christmas itself."

Now, most kids will reach the point where they question the existance of Santa (I never did, though). What have you told your child(ren) when they asked you? If you haven't been asked, what do you plan to say? Have you ever had to break the illusion of Santa for your child because they got to the point of defending his existance (and truly believing it) even though their peers told them he wasn't real?

ncbirdie

Asked by ncbirdie at 7:43 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Holidays

• I am actually thinking of having the talk this Xmas, after presents are opened, tummies are full, and snowmen are built. My son is in kindergarten at a Christian school and some of the very strict religious parents already told their kids.... so he mentioned the term "costumed character" to me. I want to keep the magic, though, .... it's so hard!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:45 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• The only thing that my 6 year old son has asked so far is if the Santa at the mall was really Santa. I explained to him that Santa is really busy right now so he has his friends help him out. I haven't decided what I am going to tell him when he does ask.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My oldest son knows the truth because he came to us and told us what he thought. When he first started asking we said what do you believe and he told us "He must be real because you would never buy us all those gifts." His friends would tell him Santa wasn't real and he would just go along with it at school. He knew that his friends would make fun of him so he never told them what he thought. He was about 12 when he came to us and said I know it is you guys. He wanted an expensive present and said "I really want that so if it is the only this I get it is okay."

I was so proud of him for understanding and still not spoiling things for his you younger siblings.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:49 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Well I once read that when you stop believing in Santa you get UNDERWEAR! =)

I don't know what I would do...I think one day it'll just come up and DH and I will have to explain
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 7:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Yeah, I was in 4th grade before my Mom had to tell me he wasn't a real person. The whole reason it took so long was because I *saw* Santa. The story was that he'd forgotten a bag and my Mom caught him when he came back for it and made him hand-deliver one of the presents for me. He woke me up and I reached into the bag to pull out a little stuffed pony (still have that pony, though it's nowhere near as pretty as it was then). It never occurred to me that it could have been my Dad dressing up for me. By the time I decided I wanted to show him what had happened and got my bathrobe and slippers on I had to *wake* him up.

I was so hurt when, at 9 years old, my Mom had to take me aside and tell me that she and Dad had been lying to us. Those weren't the words she used, but that's what it came across as.
    ncbirdie

Comment by ncbirdie (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• The magic of Santa has never left me, and with my son at least, I don't have to go through the "talk" about whether Santa is real or not. He has special needs and just last night was able to visit Santa. His face just lit up! He loves that man! Because he is nonverbal I have no idea whether he just saw Santa or recognized the man in the suit (he worships at our church). But honestly, I don't think I could ever bring that up unless one of my children asked me point blank --is Santa real? I think the answer, He's as real as Christmas itself is a good one.
    Santa was in part based on St Nicholas, a very real man, who gave to many people. Its okay to pretend, as long as your heart will let you. . But kids should also know that as long as they believe in the magic and the good of giving and helping others, Santa, the spirit of Christmas will still be alive.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 8:07 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• When my kids started asking me- I turned it and asked them what they thought. Than I told them that OF COURSE Santa is real, jsut not in the way they had thought before. That he lives in all of us when we help others, or give to others or show kindness toward others.
    They took it very well. They are both glad we did the Santa thing, and actually we still do! They are teens and we still put out Santa gifts and whatnot ;)
    It's fun
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• well for me...Im never gonna mention a santa!!! thats not the reason for the season.. Christmas is Jesus Birthday.. so we celebrate a birthday party for Jesus....I dont like giving false hope or lying so we dont say santa leve present under the tree for you and eats cookies and milk... no no no.. I mean i will read stories about it to her and let her watch movies about it.. and i will let her see him and get pics made with hhim....but to us he will just be a character.. I gues what im saying is she can know all about how other people think there is a snata and tell theier kids ther eis a snata but for us we will know the true meaning.. its okay to pretend it and have fun with it but i want her to know the true meaning behind it and that we lay gifts under the tree fo her...
    lacyjay1987

Answer by lacyjay1987 at 8:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I let my mom know that I still believe in santa. Are you kidding, I will milk it for all it's worth and I am 36 years old. LOL
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 10:12 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• ive not had to go thru that with my own child,however i did have to go thru it with my little brother....he came to me one day and asked me if i believed in santa and i asked him why he was asking me this question and he said it was because he didnt think i was a believer....so i told him that i did believe in santa but my beliefe was fading away,and he asked why,and i told him it was because i was getting older....he understood but he was upset because he was afraid i was never going to get any toys ever again.....i let my mom handle that part....lol
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 2:52 PM on Dec. 19, 2010