help 15 month old dont listen at all

we tell her no. she shakes her at us like don't you tell me no. i want to not have to yell at her i love her and her strong will but i want her to know that we are boss. my husband and i cant think how to Handel it and we are pg and due in 4 1/2 months. that scares me even more, she gets angry if we don't give her attention. help please.

shannonmcgeehen

Asked by shannonmcgeehen at 7:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think my son listen too well at that point and there wasn't too much I could do about it. Now that he's two we do time out. Works like a charm (for us). Every kid learns a different way though. Some kids will never respond to time outs.
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 7:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Since she is too young for timeouts to do anything but aggravate her, try more choices. Whatever is happening that's causing conflict give her some independence in the way of a choice.

Like for example if it's a fight about putting on her shoes you can say "do you want your pink sandals or your sneakers? Point and show me!" and then "who should help you put them on, momma or grandpa? and then "which foot 1st, this one or the other one?"
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:55 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• First off there is no reason to yell. She hears you so stay calm and use your indoor voice just change your tone. At 15 months she's showing you that she understands what you are saying (you said no, she shook her head showing you there is communication). You taught her the word no and the meaning and she's communicating with you as best she can. Stop telling her no. Show her what she CAN do instead of focusing on the negative, what she cannot do. You didn't give an example so I can't give you an example. She has no clue what "boss" means. She does know that there are two people who are supposed to love and care for her and she trusts them to do just that. She doesn't need a BOSS she needs parents. She's a little child, not an adult so don't expect her to think like one.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:00 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Who says time-out doesn't work? I've been doing time-out with my children since they were 12 months old and now they are more well-behaved than my step-kids are (and their mom didn't start time-out with them until they were 2 years old since she thought they were too young to be taught right from wrong).
    I agree with the speak calmly part, but lay down the rules. Even on Supernanny those women say time-out is effective on children as young as a year old. Be consistant with it. When she catches an attitude with you, get down on her level, explain that that behavior is uncalled for, and that she is going to go into time-out. It doesn't have to be for a full mintue either, as long as she stays quiet for, I'd say 30 seconds, then she's learned her lesson. You can extend the time for 1 mintue the closer she gets to 2 years old. Time out works as long as YOU are consistant.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 8:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• same here. we Just try to redirect her. We are also trying to stop saying the no word. Good Luck!!
    Mrsmom09

Answer by Mrsmom09 at 2:03 PM on Dec. 19, 2010