If you are a SAHM

do you think your kids will be behind when they start school. compared to kids who go to day care and head start etc.?
My son just turned 4 i do my best to teach him what i think others kids would know but I still worry. a Few weeks ago he started writing his name first and last by himself. can you child?
when did they learn?

Sky_Mom

Asked by Sky_Mom at 7:48 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i have also thought the same........... but you gotta be confident!.. if you think about it.. you work one on one or however many children you have.. and if you really are working w/ your child/children they will be very smart! at preschool its a teacher to a whole class. My daughter will be 5 in march.. and will be starting school next year.. and has never been to preschool! She can do SO much and people are constantly telling me how smart she is.. you can look online for the things your child needs to know, and make sure they have it down before school Good luck mama(:
    mohme2three

Answer by mohme2three at 7:51 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I never worried because I stay home with my kids. My kids have been able to do so much because I stay home with them. I also never worried about if they were going to be behind other kids. All kids learn differently and I knew that I worked with my kids enough for them to be ready for school. If he is writing his name then you should be fine.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:51 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• If your worried.. call your school & ask for what the kids need to know before starting school. That way you will know what NEEDS to be done.
    I think my dd will be just fine, she sits well for story time at the library & goes to church occasionally so that should help with school.. She can write her first name but not her last name yet (its 9 letters long!). She knows letters- Name/Sound/how to write them. She knows her address & we are still working on phone number.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:10 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• my child will be behide
    she has autism
    is in special education at three
    she goes 3 daysa week, 2.5 hours each day
    she is three and just started to say her name

i try not to worry, because i can not cure her autism, i can help her as best i can... by reading everything i can, learning from therapists, changing her diet, engaging as much as possible and loving her the way God made her
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:10 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I'm not worried, no. My son's just getting ready to turn three, can count to 20 (as well as knowing the numbers when he sees them), recite and recognize his alphabet( upper and lowercase), knows his colors, shapes, animals and their sounds, kinds of vehicles, etc. I just make sure I take the time to work with him every day, though its not a chore for either of us, he really enjoys it. You just have to find what works for your child and stick with it! :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:11 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My kids didn't go to head start or preschool and they were both advanced when they started kindergarten. I worked with them at home and they learned far more than the kids in head start or preschool because we had plenty of one on one time. We also did preschool story hour at the library each week so they could meet other kids their own age.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:55 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My daughter was ahead of most of her class when she started preschool at 4. My son is at the same level she was and he will start preschool next fall at the age of 4.Dont' worry about your child. If you have been working with him, he will be fine!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 9:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• my dd is almost 4 and she is very advanced for her age so am not worry at all
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:27 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I'm a SAHM and my kids are 4 (still home) and 6 (Kindergarten) and they attended pre school off/on...... I wanted to make sure they were used to a classroom setting and the concept of sharing, raising hand to be called on, asking teacher for help, etc etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:50 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• my kids actually know more being at home from me than most kids in day care. I am glad i can be a SAHM that can teach them a good set of values and morals
    ladysummeraire

Answer by ladysummeraire at 3:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2010