I have a very important question to ask you all. I'm hoping someone will beable to help. You all know my 7yr old Jesse is autistic and he's nonverbal & really smart. We have been trying to potty train him and it still seems that he's scared of the toilet. How did you get your child to potty train and did he/she understand what were trying to get them to do? Please help! Thank you

How do you potty train a nonverbal Autistic child?

Angelmom257

Asked by Angelmom257 at 7:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Try taking him to the store with you and get him to pick out a potty seat.. Make a game out of it and make it fun for him.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 7:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• my son is 5.5 years old and he is not potty trained either. he has been diagnosed with autism as well. i have tried everything and he just doesnt care. so im in the same boat as you.
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 7:54 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I just want to say I dont have experience with a nonverbal autistic child but my son has disabilities and was fearful of the toitlet too. That said I made it fun, it tryed several "fun" ways before I found the one that worked.
    First I showed him that he was safe by letting him be with me when I went and showed him about flushing and that he was ok and he wont get sucked in. Then we graduated to him flushing for me and that he found amusing.
    The thing I found that got him to pee was You know those blue toilet tab cleaning things you put in the back. Well he like to pee in the BLUE water b/c it made it GREEN. How funny right. Then he got to flush and it was blue again lol
    Anonymous

• my kids were scared of the toilet and made it into a play thing,i got dolly and showed them how they used the shower and sat on potty,i got them to do it,if you cant then show them,get a dolly that wees and poos,baby alive dolls are the best,my kids did it and it was fun for them.i got them to do it while i was watching them and then within a month they werent scared,they got the dolly to go first and then they will go,it was cute to watch
    cruizymum

Answer by cruizymum at 5:06 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• thank you everyone
    Angelmom257

Answer by Angelmom257 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 10, 2009