What is the best way....

To get an 18 month old boy to stay in his bed at night. I recently had to transition my baby to a big boy bed due to him always jumping out of his crib....but now I can not get him to stay in that bed either....

mylady13135

Asked by mylady13135 at 8:19 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep putting him back to bed, and insist that when it's bedtime, that's it. Even when he comes in for things like a drink of water, this or that, take care of as much as you can before it's time to lay down, and then you can tell him he can do whatever else in the morning. Good luck.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 8:22 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Just continue putting him back in bed immediately without talking to him. He will get the picture pretty quickly.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:23 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• a very tall baby gate at his bedroom door
    if he just switched to big boy bed, he will get it soon
    i had to use baby gate for some time when mine at 2 switched
    18 months young, must be a great climber
    baby gate, very tall for climbers, maybe have to get vertical bars
    could try a timed light, when it goes on, he can get out of bed, but also pretty young for this concept
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:24 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I put a gate up so he couldn't get out of his room. I made sure all the lights were off in the house and had classical music playing. A few nights he was sleeping on the floor by the door but for some reason my son loves, loves, loves to sleep and he embraced the bed. It took me about five days to get him to sleep in his bed with no gate up.
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 8:27 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• hey mama i dont know what to tell you but goodluck
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 8:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• the same way you got him to sleep in his crib whenever (and if ever) you transitioned him out of the bassinette to the crib. persistance. I know when my husband and I made the same trasition for our daughter she would often be found sleeping on the floor instead of her bed, but eventually she would sleep in her bed (seemed like it took forever). The same with our son. Now they are both sleeping in beds (still working on the sleeing in different rooms part, would be easier if my step-kids were living with us and sleeping over every night since my kids copy their older sibling's behavior) but we're working on that.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 8:34 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Wear him out before bed and no food especially sugar after 6pm. Not too many liquids either because even if he is not potty trained he might wake up with the urge to potty.
    notjustmom213

Answer by notjustmom213 at 9:17 AM on Dec. 19, 2010