how many layers of clothes for cold weather?

my husband is coming home from deployment next week (navy) and im wondering how to dress my 5.5 month old boy. there is supposed to be a heated tent while we wait but we will also be out on a windy pier. the high is supposed to be 40 degrees and sunny that day. i have a cute outfit but i dont know what i need. the outfit is shoes, jeans, long sleeve onesie, and a sweater vest.

HKittyCrzy

Asked by HKittyCrzy at 8:54 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's enough for me and my kids. We went out in windy 40F weather the other day with our 5 month old. He had on socks, sweats, long sleeve shirt and his warm coat and a knit hat I made that covers his ears. He was in the stroller so we tossed his crocheted afghan over him and his warm quilt (was glad I brought both blankets because the temp dropped several degrees in the hour we were out and got really windy...the afghan with it's holes would not have been enough). He slept soundly the whole time and when I took him out he was toasty warm.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:47 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I was always told 1 more layer than what you're wearing.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 8:56 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I would also bring a hat, jacket, and a blanket just in case.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:56 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• oh yes, i plan on bringing a hat and jacket and blanket... just wondering if that would be enough. it would be one layer on the bottom (jeans) and 3 layers on top (onesie, vest, jacket).
    HKittyCrzy

Comment by HKittyCrzy (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• That should be enough.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 9:27 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• should be enough!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:34 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Old navy has some cute fleece one piece outfits. When we go on walks i put my son in a pair of fleece pajamas like carters ones and then that and a pair of shoes and hat and hes perfectly warm
    mommyajay

Answer by mommyajay at 10:24 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I would put him in a little baby snowsuit plus a little hat, and if he's going to be in his carseat a cover for that, if not, keep a nice heavy blanket around/over him.
    Anonymous

• Dress in long sleeves and a jacket and bring a blanket or 2 just in case. :), Congrats on your dh coming home, what an awesome Christmas present!!!!
    jillrebecca3

Answer by jillrebecca3 at 10:54 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Bring a hat that baby fingers can't take off, mittens, coat. Like another poster said, one more layer than what you're wearing.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:37 AM on Dec. 19, 2010