Don't Ask, Don't Tell

I keep hearing about the changes they are trying to make to this policy, but personally I don't see what the big deal is (maybe I'm missing something). Now if anything I think it should be Don't Ask, Don't HAVE To Tell, because I don't think anybody should have to hide it if they don't want to, but they shouldn't be forced to disclose their sexual preference either. I understand how that can have an effect on fellow straight soldiers, but I think there needs to be procedures followed and hate-crime punishments in place for anyone who crosses the line. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't see how it will effect anyone unless they make it affect them. I agree it should be don't ask I don't have to tell. It's no one's business what your sexual preference is
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:13 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• there ARE punishments for anykind of harrasment / hate crimes when your in the military...
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 9:14 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• "don't ask, don't tell" just basically means that if your sexual preference isn't questioned then don't volunteer the information. I mean, you wouldn't go to a job interview and say "oh by the way, this is my sexual preference and I just thought you'd like to know even though you showed no interest whatsoever in it at all since you didn't ask me about it in the first place" Think of the military as a job interview, after all, if you don't meet the requirements for entrance (just like with any other job, if you don't qualify they won't hire you) then you don't go in.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 9:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• When I was in the military we weren't supposed to show affection, holding hands, making out etc. when in uniform, and I'm straight! I think if someone, regardless of sexual orientation, wants to fight for their country they should be allowed to! I would honor & respect them just as much..We are all people fighting for the same thing, so why stop them from serving their country.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 9:19 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I think it's all logistics. As always, the devil is in the details. They have to be ahead of the game and have clear policy and procedures. Considering there are already gay people serving in the military, it shouldn't take too much. Of course, I say this without any working knowledge of how the military works so I could be way off.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:32 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• The big deal is people can't be fired for doing nothing wrong. Brave men and women that are fighting for our country aren't going to be forced to hide and lie about who they are and who they love. 70% of the public and 70% of the military think it should be repealed....there is no reason the federal government should be able to legally discriminate against gay people , period

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:25 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Idiots. As soon as Obama signs the legislation the law will simply revert back to the previous one in the UCMJ...making it a criminal matter. They should have had the sister legislation first. Now they are facing a new Congress that imo won't have much interest in doing it. It's all good though!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:55 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• The whole stupidity is based on the rather hilarious idea that if you're gay you could be blackmailed to give state secrets or have your... secret told.

If it's a secret, that holds water. But if you're openly gay...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:07 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• IMHO, the idea should remain in place [don't ask, don't tell], but the consequences need to be modified. Like momnstepmom mentioned, people shouldn't even be volunteering to share the information. I'm all for gay rights but there are still plenty of service members who are too narrow-minded & immature which is why it was put into effect in the first place. At the same time, so long as it isn't affecting your ability to do your job then you shouldn't be fired--makes no sense that we have a federal law for job discrimination but it doesn't apply entirely towards enlisting!

In reality, it probably was best left in place untouched. It's one thing to comment about it from a civilian's POV versus that of an actual service members. I'm sure there are plenty of people who aren't against homosexuality, but sharing an extremely closed quarters may make some feel uncomfortable--think NAVY especially those on the submarines..
    crystaLuv

Answer by crystaLuv at 1:33 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• In reality, it probably was best left in place untouched. It's one thing to comment about it from a civilian's POV versus that of an actual service members. I'm sure there are plenty of people who aren't against homosexuality, but sharing an extremely closed quarters may make some feel uncomfortable--think NAVY especially those on the submarines..

The gays are already in the military, that will not change. They just won't have to worry about getting fired for being gay.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 6:21 PM on Dec. 19, 2010