Coffee and cat urine

Ok, so I have searched all over the net and can't find any thing... My cousin says that in the coffee growing process they use cat urine to make the coffee bean more bitter...... they pour the urine on the plant..... I've never heard of this, can't find info on this, from my knowledge all urine is acidic and is VERY bad for any plant.

This is driving me nuts! I can't find the info..... Please help me find the info to either confirm or deny this....... it's wrong....... right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Food & Drink

• JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:29 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I would say it's wrong if you can't find any info about it. If there's no information than the statement is just not true. Ask your cousin where he/she got their information from in the first place, if it's not a reliable source (being a .edu, .org. or .gov site) then disregard their information. If it's from some journal then make sure it's a legitamite journal that is giving out this information (you don't want to listen to a journal or magazine that has pictures of touched up aliens and photoshopped celebs as a reliable source of information)
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 9:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• She said she saw a documentary on tv about it..... Not the Kopi, I asked if that was what she meant....... I really don't think it's true.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• no offense but that sounds so gross
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 2:06 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Never heard of that...
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:42 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• It sure sounds like someone's backwards attempt to argue against the chemical decaffeinate of coffee. There are two ways to make decaf - one involved what is basically a chemical bath. It's why cheap decaf coffee reeks to high heaven and tastes bitter. The other way is natural, but more expensive and takes longer, so coffee decaffeinated that way costs more. One of the chemicals used to decaffeinate coffee is often compared in scent to cat urine (that same smell that knocks you on your butt when you visit a cat owner's home).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:11 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I thought that the urine would KILL plants? I have no idea though.
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 2:33 PM on Dec. 19, 2010