How do you get rid of......?

house mice?? We have rented this house from my SIL, and she had them once before and got rid of them and no they are back and i cant get rid of them myself. Does anyone know any techniques or things that they have tried themselves to help get rid of them? Thanks so much in adance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Moth balls and mice traps. If you want to do it humanely then I suggest getting the sticky stuff so that you can release the mice back into the wild (hopefully far far away from your house) if not, then get the ones that snap shut, just remember to use gloves when you clean up and scrub your hands and arms to make sure you didn't get anything on yourself. Also remember that if these are BIG mice then you'll have to use the snap traps anyway becuase they are too big to stick to the pads.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 9:32 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Ok thank you very very much....
    Is there certain things that attract them to your house??
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:59 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Anywhere they can get in to the warm and dry. Any place that you find they might be able to come in - fill with steel wool....they can't stand to chew through it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:03 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Okay. Moth balls don't get rid of them, they just help repel them - when they're gone, you sprinkle them around your foundation on the inside, they won't come in if they can smell them. But before that. There are a variety of traps - the sticky ones are not humane, you can't get a mouse off - but they're my preference. The snap traps work okay. There are new ones that the mouse goes in, it shuts, and you just toss the whole works (but they're the most expensive). Bait your traps with peanut butter - a dab in the middle of a stick, or on the thingy of a snap. When we've had them, I saw zero evidence in my kitchen or anything - some people will find poop in their drawers, box corners eaten...we found poop in a box in our basement and one of those rice socks you warm up had a hole eaten in it (in the basement). Friends of ours keep an immaculate house and get mice every fall. Get the canned expandable foam, and seal every (con't)
    Anonymous

• single possible little hole or crack they could be coming in, both on the inside and the outside - they can squeeze in a hole the size of a pencil eraser. Bigger holes, or ones that you can't fill with the foam, stuff with steel wool, and lots of it - I usually get the ones that already have soap on them, they'll try to pull regular ones out but won't mess with the soap ones. Ummm...yeah, I think that's about it, this is the first year in 6 that I haven't had to deal with mice, we usually get them every fall (we live in the country, right by a field, and harvest & freezing temps send them running for cover!).
    Anonymous

• Mice don't like peppermint oil either.I buy real peppermint oit at the health food store and put it on cotton balls.When we had our cats we didn't have mice either.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 11:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Thank you all very much!!! Ithe info and suggestions is greatly appreciated!!! Im gonna alot of them and see what i can do to get rid of them!! We also live way out in the country with woods behind us. Ive actually seen them and seen evidence that they have been around. Its quite disgusting and disturbing to me!! Thank you all again!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Do it yourself-Put traps, I like the sticky one, use them once then discard with the mouse. Make sure you seal all holes where they can get in with steel wool.
    They are a problem, but you can get rid of them with persistence. We just call the exterminator, and they do all the work.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 6:41 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Deconn. Traps are messy & single use. Deconn will kill off a colony of mice.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:32 AM on Dec. 19, 2010