Abnormal cervical cells? adult content

So I had my yearly pap done the end of November and the doctor said there were abnormal cervical cells found and that I need to get another pap done in 6 months. I have had an abnormal pap before, right after having my son and the doctor said that's common. That was over 5 years ago and I never had any others come back as abnormal again until now. I had 2 miscarriages last year one with a D&C and my pap last year was normal. I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what could cause an abnormality in cervical cells besides cancer?

jnsdrf

Asked by jnsdrf at 9:29 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Health

• I had abnormal cells and they did some microscope thing to me and everything was fine....I really htink it depends on whats going on when you have your pap done. I know I had just gotten off of my period when I got mine done...I dont know if that has something to do with it (tampons?) who knows! I wouldnt worry. If it was serious they would look into it more. They would never let you sit for 6 months if it looked bad.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 9:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• another pregnancy? maybe? I'm not sure since I've never had an abnormal test before. My aunt had one once, but it was cancer and she died from it last year. Not wanting to scare you since I'm sure you go every year or two for a physical (my aunt hadn't seen a doctor for 20+ years before deciding o go in because she couldn't shake what she thought was a UTI and turned out to be cervical cancer).
    Praying for a good turnout for you though, I'm sorry you'll have to be worrying about this for the next 6 months.
    momnstepmom

Answer by momnstepmom at 9:35 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I agree with Luv. when mine came up abnormal that was the first thing I thought of, if this was urgent they would have me in here tomorrow. I have had my cervix scraped too, b/c of an abnormal pap smear and they didnt find anything then either...
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Anything could cause abnormal cells. Your hormone levels could be shifting because of your cycle, you could have had sex or something to make the cells change. Just know that if your doctor was concerned, you would have been scheduled for a colposcopy sooner rather than another PAP in 6 months.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:59 PM on Dec. 19, 2010