When should you take a child to the ER with a fever?

I'm pretty sure my daughter has strep bc a little girl in her classes has it and I'm friends with her mom and she told me how she felt and my daughter's feeling the same way and has a high fever. The hospital in our town sucks and they wouldn't even be fit to help a dog deliver puppies so the next hospital is about 40 minutes away...I don't know if I need to take her to the ER or just go to WalMart and get her something else to take (she's been taking Childrens Tylenol)...She's 5 and this is only like the 3rd time she's been sick in her life so I don't wanna roll up in the ER freaking out and then they just send me home. Her temp right now is 103

misspriss_1987

Asked by misspriss_1987 at 9:43 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you should def take her to get checked out...im sure she feels terrible. My son who is 5 just got over strep last week and he didnt feel good at all and also had a 103 fever. As soon as i gave him the 1st dose of ammoxicillan his fever stopped. But make sure that when you take her and they give you the meds that you finish every drop of it cause it can come back....but a 40 min drive isnt bad to have her seen. Is there a childrens urgent care somewhere around you?? If so they can do the strep test there. But where ever you do take her be sure to have her wear a mask to protect others from getting what she has and from her not to pick up something else...lots of hand washing too mama ! Good luck and i hope she feels better really soon !!!!
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 9:49 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Try to get her fever down with Tylenol and Ibuprofen. Give her a lukewarm bath. If her fever doesn't come down or if it goes up any higher, I would take her to the ER. Hope she feels better soon.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 9:45 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I wouldn't go anywhere near an ER for a fever that wasn't causing either ongoing hallucinations or seizures or the inability to stay awake for more than 2 minutes in a row. Because a fever is not usually an emergency.

She may need to see a doctor, yes --but waste an ER team's time? It's hardly an emergency.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:46 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• 103 is not reason to rush tot he ER. I would give her some Motrin and keep an eye on her. I would consider taking her to a clinic in the morning because if it is strep she will need medication. If her fever goes above 104.5 I would head to the ER. (IMO)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:46 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I agree with Snewo
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 9:46 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• It depends on how she is acting and how fast her fever spiked. Is she lethargic? Hurting? Is the fever going down with Tylenol? I would actually try Advil or Motrin instead, they work a lot better. Watch the fever and how she is acting. If it goes any higher, I would definately take her. Try giving her a lukewarm bath or wiping her down with warm washclothes to help the fever go down. Keep her hydrated. If she breaks out in a rash, take her to a walkin or urgent care clinic.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• When she's dehydrated. Unless she's at that point,they'll just tell you to give fever reducers and charge you 3x what the Walk in would charge for a quick strep.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• it depends on how old the child is, if they are an infant you need to take them to the ER when their fever reaches 100.4. If they are over 1 year and they aren't responding to childrens tylenol take them in if they have a fever over 101.9 for longer than 1 hour.
    ari914

Answer by ari914 at 9:47 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Don't ever go to the ER unless it's a true emergency. Every pediatrician will see a child in their office, even after hours if the symptoms are serious enough. They'll do a quick strep test, and if that's positive, start antibiotics right away, and if negative, they'll do a more thorough test which takes 24 hours. walmart does not sell the meds that get rid of strep, but do sell meds that treat symptoms
    cmlkb

Answer by cmlkb at 9:48 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• About 2.5 hours ago I gave her a bath and put a little alcohol in the water bc my grandma said that would draw the fever out...but when I put her in it was 102.2 and when she got out it was 101.7 and then a little bit later it was 101.1...Now it's 103.3 :(
    She says she feels ok, she's just hot all over but she says she's cold.
    misspriss_1987

Comment by misspriss_1987 (original poster) at 9:49 PM on Dec. 18, 2010