am i the only one whose family is not close?

Mine is not close at all. We only see each other on special occassions. Me and my cousins are not close. Some of it is my fault though. I don't feel like I can be myself around them and I just don't feel comfortable. I feel like they are judging me.

iluvmybabe

Asked by iluvmybabe at 9:44 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• Not that I am glad you aren't close with your family, but it is so incredibly comforting to know that I'm not the only one!! I'd pretty much rather do anything than spend time with them. It's because they are so catty & judgmental & I see how they trash talk eachother behind their backs & then they are sickeningly sweet to their faces. I'm not stupid, if you're trash talking them you're doing the same sh*t to me!! No thanks! I'd rather work or volunteer at a shelter or something. I don't need their pretend love.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 9:55 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I'm not close to my family either. Neither is my husband.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:58 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Me three!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:11 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• me four

Answer by admckenzie at 11:12 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My family does not even get together anymore for Holidays or anything else- as dysfunctional as we have always been; sometimes, i can't believe it really went this far but.......... it is probably a Blessing for Me! it's a little bit harder to deal with this time of year-

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• me five.... i am not close to my side of the family i dont feel comfortable or i also dont feel like i could be myself eather i also feel like i get judged and spoken to behind my back i am a young mommy younger than 20 thats all i can say but, my family arent sopportive for me they have been trying to do horable things to rewin my little family i dont want too say too much but yea well hmm at least im not the only one and its nice to know that i ant the only one
    Lisa_7777

Answer by Lisa_7777 at 11:20 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• We all live in different states and we never see each other. I have not seen my sister in 15 years or so. My brother in 2 or 3. I do go to see my parents once or twice a year because I feel like I have to. Not because I want to. So no we are not close, we have no one but each other and that is all we need. I just have to be thankful for what I have.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 12:13 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I see my cousins once a year some years, others not at all. We were close as children! But my parents and I always did the visiting, the calling and giving of gifts (I'm an only child and didn't even get a card!) We have gone to hospitals and such when people were sick, and always called. We've had surgeries, deaths and no one even sent a flower or called. So I guess they never made an effort, and I decided I was not going to call them or go visit. And also, I have one cousin whose wife really is ignorant and says stupid things and asks stupid questions about my ds with autism and it really hurts. Although they are on my facebook page now, we aren't close.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:18 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I feel the same way too. About eight years ago, my sister told me off on Christmas day, and I just can't forget it though. Ever since she has had Christmas with her family, three hours away. As bad as this may sound, I prefer it the way it is now. It's much simpler with five people. Without all the confusion.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:02 AM on Dec. 19, 2010