At how many months did you introduce baby food to your baby?

and how did you do it?

babbykrissy

Asked by babbykrissy at 10:11 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I got recipes from nurturebaby.com
    I started with simple purees that I did myself at home at 6mos
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:12 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• 6,started giving him watery cereal off a spoon
    later tried orange veggies

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:12 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I think he was about 4-5 months old. I gave some rice cereal with a spoon. It was really watery. Not thick at all.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 10:12 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• We never did "baby" food, just regular food... and that was between 7-8 months for both boys. We just cut up a food from dinner that was soft enough (and appropriate) and put it on their tray. They did the rest! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:13 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• my sons were around 4 months when i gave then rice cereal around bedtime to help them sleep longer
    CarVan

Answer by CarVan at 10:14 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• about 4mths..doctor said it was ok-bc she wanted my daughter to gain a few lbs. rice or oatmeal. veg or fruit dont matter really what u start with. everyone will tell u something different. just do what u think is best-and always ask ur childs pedi if u have qs
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 10:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• 6 months and i made my own started with sweet potato! try wholesomebabyfood.com!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:16 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I let him try cereal at 4 months, and foods at 6 months. I just introduced them slowly, one food at a time for a few days to make sure he had no allergies. I know people say to start with vegetables bc otherwise they'll be too partial to the sweetness of fruit, but my son never had that problem. He loves them both, and always has and his second food was pears (first was carrots). :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:17 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• At about 5.5 months, both of my children (2.5 years between them) grabbed a meat bone off my plate and would NOT give it back. They gnawed on them for hours. One was chicken, one was lamb.

Generally, it's recommended that their first food,s at around 6mo, be both familiar to them (the smells they're used to, and if they're breastfeeding, the flavours they're used to) and made from actual food. Not cans, jars, certainly not boxes of dessicated grains. First foods should be rich (high in fat) because babies need a lot of fat to grow their brains properly, and high in nutrients --particularly with naturally present iron.

Meats are a good first food, cooked and seasoned the way you normally would --it is only in the West that we believe small children can't handle or won't like or shouldn't have herbs and spices. Select well-marbled rather than lean cuts.

Avocado, bananas, cooked peas (not pureed), cooked carrots or squash...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:19 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Well my DS got rice cereal from a spoon at 4 months as recommended by his ped. He did fine and by 5 months I was offering other stage one foods one at a time. By 7 months he was eating small table food bites.

With DD I was breast feeding and afraid of messing up my already ify supply. Since I was working part time and pumping I was worried adding solids to early would effect my ability to nurse her a full year so I held off until she was 7 months. She was not eating table bites until she was close to 10 months.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:29 PM on Dec. 18, 2010