Family xmas drama.... What should I do?

THis is my son's 1st xmas. He has two sets of grandparents and three sets of great grandparents, all of whom live near by (less than 30 mins from our home). They ALL want to see him for xmas, but, I can't have everyone at my house because different health problems and the fact my house is too small.

So I said I would have the grandparents over for brunch and have him open his gifts then. And then go visist the great grandparents the day after, but I don't think I can get all three sets in on one day. Also, I have a church commitment most of the night on xmas eve.

What should I do? I am trying not to upset anyone while still having a great first xmas for my son.

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 10:14 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Holidays

• You do what is best for your BABY. If the grandparents can't understand that, then it is their loss. I was lucky that I only had to go to one place for Christmas, I didn't make special trips to anyone else. If I have anymore kids, the grandparents will have to come to me. I really do not like dragging a young child from house to house, it messes with their schedule.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:16 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Oh goodness, and I thought I had it bad with all the running around we'll have to do...do what you can, while still being able to enjoy the day...talk to all of them and try to figure out what works for everybody...I don't really have any advice, I'm still trying to figure out what we're going to do...
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 10:17 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• To me this sounds like a good plan. If people are not happy with it then I would try and explain that he is still little and needs his nap. Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• You are trying to do too much.
    Can your parents have the grandparents to their house in one or two outings.
    My mind is boggled with all the grandparents.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I guess I came up with the xmas eve my husband myself and the baby, so we can have our tradition and go to church. Then Xmas day both sets of grandparents and the day after the three sets of great grandparents so that they would all feel like we are treating them equally.
    lmt_mom2010

Comment by lmt_mom2010 (original poster) at 10:43 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Your last comment sounds to me like a very good plan.You can only do so much,besides your baby most likely won't remember this year anyway.Starting this tradition now should help you in the future.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 10:59 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I think your plan sounds like a good one. It is fair and fits everyone in. There is only so much you can do in one day and if you try to cram too much in your son will just end up overwhelmed and cranky from the hoopla- then no one will have a good holiday. Hopefully everyone understands your position, if they don't take it well just tell them you are doing your best, don't let yourself start to feel guilty.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:49 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• your plan is fine....just make sure you take time to relax and let the baby relax as well.....you dont want to have him over stimulated,and more than likely he wont remember this christmas anyways because he is still just a baby.....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 2:13 PM on Dec. 19, 2010