How do you go about potty training a boy?

My son is 18 months, he has developed pretty quickly. He was crawling at 3 months, standing up at 5 months on his own without pulling himself up with something...and walking by 7 months. He is extremely smart...only says a few words... up, more, yes, no, that, ball, milk, momma, dadda, thank you, hi, buh-bye... a few more I can't think of right now lol.... But my mother said at his age he is ready to start potty training. I have a three year old daughter who is still potty training...and not doing so good... She hates it... and she thinks it's funny when she doesn't tell me she has to pee... But... I have NO idea how to even BEGIN potty training a boy... Any ideas? And his father wont help by letting our son watch him pee...he thinks it's gross lol... so that's out of the question. Any advice would be great...and hey if he's not ready, he's not ready....just looking for some tips is all. Thanks!

michellelee3708

Asked by michellelee3708 at 10:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was a single mom since before my ds was born. I made it into a game. I kept a mini box of Cheerios on the back of the toilet tank & everytime we went or tried to go potty I'd drop a Cheerio in & he'd pee on it & tried to sink it. If he succeeded, he'd get a sticker on the chart.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 10:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Really I would not potty train now esp a boy ..that said get out a dixie cup and ask him to pee in it for you then have tons of fun flushing it... ask him as often as you think necessary but at least every 3 hours... praise for dry diapers matter of factly diaper change for wet diapers
    no getting mad/angry or making a big deal of soiling
    the bottom line is this if they cant hold a 3 hour bladder you wont be successful-- and kids who train too early revert later (usually just before school starts)
    dd finished potty training at 28 months ds at 38-- they were DONE day and night time bowel and bladder and when I tried to train early it just made us all miserable
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• We got my son those little toilet targets...they float in the bowl for boys to aim at. He thought that was fun.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 10:46 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• We didn't try to start potty training my son until he was 2. He finally got trained when he was 3 1/2. I put him real underwear instead of pull ups. At first we got a potty seat so he wouldn't have to stand in front of the toilet and most likely pee everywhere. When he got a little bigger he wanted to try to stand and pee. We got him a little stool so he could pee in the toilet. They will let you know when they are ready to try potty training. He is most likely not ready at only 18 months. Good luck!
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 10:56 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• With our DS we started him sitting down. We had a hard time at first but got this Elmo Potty Dvd from Target everyone kept talking about. I thought it was just a plug for a while but it actually helped him. Anyway, that's an idea but also just introducing him to the idea and making it a big deal when you dd goes potty he might just be interested in it now. It might actually be easier to do it since they are both doing it.
    Start like you most likely did you dd. Sit him on the potty every 30 mins or so. With boys remind him to "push it down" or they pee every where! Good luck and but don't be too hard on because he is still 18 months. :)
    jillrebecca3

Answer by jillrebecca3 at 4:05 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I let my son decide. He potty trained in one week at 3 years old.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2010