Potty Training boys: How, how long, what age?

For moms of boys, at what age did you start to potty train? How long did it take before he was daytime potty trained? Night time potty trained? What technique did you use?

roxy85

Asked by roxy85 at 8:31 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I need the answer to this question!! My son is 3 y/o and refuses to poop in the potty and will only pee-pee in the potty if you take him. We have tried everything it seems and he just doesn't want to do it. We've been trying to potty train since he was 16 months old.
    Navy_Wife_Tisha

Answer by Navy_Wife_Tisha at 8:48 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I posted to this question previously, but I wanted to add something.With my oldest, he really would not go number 2 in the potty and in fact would go off and hide when he needed to go so we would have to make him sit on the potty. I found something that worked. I went to walmart and got him one of those little potty chair with the removable potty bowl and padded potty seat. I put in on a cheap doormat in his room and told him that if he needed to go number 2, he could do so in privacy and all he had to do was tell me afterwards. Then he could also have a bite size candy bar (he never gets chocolate so was big deal). It only took 3 days and poopy diaper days were over. But they can become so afraid to use the potty that they will actually hold it in. Patience and CALM will prevail. Dont think you have to do it just because others do.
    alwaysathomemom

Answer by alwaysathomemom at 8:57 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I waited until my son was 30 months old to potty train. In general boys are more immature and I wanted to make sure that he would be "ready". I spent one entire week not leaving the house with him. He only wore cotton underpants and a t-shirt for that entire time. The first couple of days there were plenty of accidents, but he was able to understand the feeling of having to "go" and put it together with the feeling of wet underpants. I would run him to the potty often. I would also put the potty in front of the tv and let him watch tv and drink some juice. I would look in the potty often and if there was even a couple drops of pee in the potty, I would make a huge deal of it. By the third day, he was having less accidents in his undies and was peeing a decent amount in the potty. Each day got better and by day 7 he could hold his pee for hours and was telling me when he had to go.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:50 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• (cont.) I never put a pull-up on him again, except before bedtime. I don't recommend switching back and forth between underwear and pull-ups. Kids know the difference, they figure it out the very first time they pee in them. As far as pooping went, I promised him M&M's if he would poop in the potty. He had a few accidents at first because it is scary to them, but he really wanted those M&M's. He was surprisingly easy, I think because of his age and not trying to do it too soon or waiting too late. I was shocked that it only took a week, I anticipated a lot longer because he is such a stubborn boy, but I also had to be stronger than him to stay with it.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:02 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Another piece of advice,once you get to the point where he is telling you he needs to go potty and you are taking him out in public wearing big boy undies, keep a portable potty in your car. They still wait until the last minute to tell you that they need to pee, I can't tell you how many times I had to pull into a parking lot and get him onto that potty so there wasn't a accident.
    slw123

• my son will be 4 in a couple of weeks. He has gone #2 in the potty 4 times now. We told him that when he does he gets a toy so now he wants that toy and actually got upset the other night because he couldn't go on command. His command of course. So it seems to be working but could get expensive. I bought a few of the matchbox cars that only cost .97$ so he gets one of those every time he does it and we won't go to target or wallmart until he does. It's a start but I've always heard that it takes boys longer and when they get it they get it. Good luck.
    aidansmom111804

Answer by aidansmom111804 at 8:05 AM on Nov. 9, 2008