Just me and the Kids for Xmas...

How do I celebrate Xmas with my DH gone on deployment?? Do I try to keep it the same or should I do it a little different since its just for the kids this year??

mUstBdeStiny08

Asked by mUstBdeStiny08 at 10:34 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Holidays

• i would do it the same that what i always do with my daughter when daddy is deployed
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 10:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I would think keeping it as close to 'normal' as possible would be comforting to the kids.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I would try to keep it the same or maybe do something extra special with them. Do you have family nearby?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Nope no family around either
    mUstBdeStiny08

Comment by mUstBdeStiny08 (original poster) at 10:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

I agree with this.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 10:46 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• We do it the same!! :) Good Luck and Thanks to your husband!!!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 10:48 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Yeah i figured I would keep it the same but i was also thinkin of makin it extra fun or letting them open One present starting on Thursday. IDK i feel so lost right now
    mUstBdeStiny08

Comment by mUstBdeStiny08 (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Ive been a single parent for 7 yrs and Ive tried to keep it as close to normal as possible. Even that has had its challenges b/c he got them for Christmas every other year. But, it all worked out, if it will help you to feel closier with your kids and dh let them open one present on Thursday then. Whatever feels good and thank you to your hubby for his service
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:54 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• What would change based on who's in the room?

Do the celebrations your family holds as traditional (whatever that includes, even if it's 'traditions' you invented together last year). If dad typically does something, ask him if he wants someone else to, or for it to only happen the years he's home.

Alternatively, you could move Christmas entirely to when he is home and celebrate then. I know lots of people who are not connected in any way to the liturgical calendar and couldn't care less what the malls are playing on their musac when they shop for their gifts.

And, 'Little Christmas' --celebrated on Jan 6, Epiphany, is becoming popular as a family celebration for a number of reasons: the malls are all having the best sales of the year leading up to it, it's easier to get time off, it's just as cold and dark and in need of a celebration of some kind, there's no relative 'obligation' conflicts and no other distracting parties
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:58 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Hi, sorry that this year is so tough on you and your family. Though I can hardly relate as your family is doing such a sacrifice being apart from each other, I see your problem. My husband is a FF/EMT and he has to spend quite a few actual holidays/birthdays from us working 24 and 48 hour shifts. We have two little girls ages 4 and 5. What I have noticed that works for our family is when I make the day just about the 3 of us at home. We do a movie night, board games, crafts, ect. just too keep our minds busy from missing my DH as well as have fun together. So if I was in your shoes, I may have planned something out of the ordinary to go along with a typical normal holiday. Maybe after dinner and all, you load up and go see area Christmas lights or bake cookies and take them to a local nursing home even. Take all that love you guys have and share it around to those that may not feel it. For your DHs sake. :) G/L and god bless.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 11:00 PM on Dec. 18, 2010