Potty Training boys: How, how long, what age?

For moms of boys, at what age did you start to potty train? How long did it take before he was daytime potty trained? Night time potty trained? What technique did you use?

roxy85

Asked by roxy85 at 8:31 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I have 2 boys. My first was slow to want to get out of diapers. He picked up on peeing in the potty really early, but number 2 didn't happen regularly until he was 3, and that took me breaking down and bribing him with bite size candy bars in a jar haha. My second is 17 months and is really into doing what big brother does. He will pull down his diaper and pee in the training potty. But he doesnt' want to do the number 2 yet in the potty. I've heard people brag that they made their child potty train by one year and others who still had trouble til the age of 4. To be honest, I don't there really is a "right" age. It is completely up to the child and when they are ready.
    alwaysathomemom

Answer by alwaysathomemom at 8:48 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• i only have one and started to try to potty train him about 3 month before my youngest was born. my mom had him for a month while i had the baby and then dh and i moved us up north. she almost had him completely potty trained, but then we moved, dh left for the Army, and a new baby was in the house... so i did not push it when he regressed. that was when he was two... he was not fully potty trained until he was almost 3 1/2. he is now 4 1/2 yrs old. one day he saw daddy standing at the toilet going potty and said he wanted to use the toilet.... so that was the turning point for us. he did wet the bed on and off for about 4 or 5 months, but now gets up in the middle of the night to go....

good luck. i know my boy was difficult. some people say girls are so much easier, but i have met moms that have the same problems with girls as they do with their boys....
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 8:49 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I started training one month before his 3rd birthday. Took about 10 days and he was trained both day and night at that point. No specific technique used; I just think he was ready.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Well my son was super slow to "get it". We tried around 3 1/5 but he would not even consider it until past the age of four, I think he was about 4 1/5 when he stopped having accidents. You can push it all you want to, but it is up to them and what they are comfortable with. He now wets the bed occasionally but usually wakes himself up during the night to go. He is 5.
    mamaconroy

Answer by mamaconroy at 3:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2008