Is having an hcg level of 43 really low to be 6 weeks pregnant ?

I have been bleeding for 13 days, I thought i was just having a really long period, i have never had one this long but i just thought it was my period, well i went to my obgyn yesturday to see what the heck is going on, why am i bleeding this long, and they do a pee pregnancy test, it came up positive ! They did blood work and that pregnancy test came up positive too but my hgc level was a 43 ! They said that i am having a miscarriage. so i s 43 too low to be 6 weeks pregnant ? I am just in shock and in doubt i guess, just hopeing MAYBE this is not a miscarriage but i know in my heart it is.

ffwife48

Asked by ffwife48 at 8:32 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Trying to Conceive

• yes 43 is too low for 6 weeks.

HPT pick up at generally 40 and that's supposedly 4 weeks pregnant.

the levels are supposed to almost double daily.

it would appear the the fetus stopped developing at roughly 4 weeks and your body is rejecting it, hence the 2 week long bleeding.

I am really sorry for you loss :*(
    Anonymous

• http://www.americanpregnancy.org/duringpregnancy/hcglevels.html

level at 6 weeks should be at a little over 1000

Anonymous

• Levels should be:
    Guideline to hCG levels during pregnancy:
    hCG levels in weeks from LMP (gestational age)* :

3 weeks LMP: 5 - 50 mIU/ml
    4 weeks LMP: 5 - 426 mIU/ml
    5 weeks LMP: 18 - 7,340 mIU/ml
    6 weeks LMP: 1,080 - 56,500 mIU/ml
    7 - 8 weeks LMP: 7, 650 - 229,000 mIU/ml
    9 - 12 weeks LMP: 25,700 - 288,000 mIU/ml
    13 - 16 weeks LMP: 13,300 - 254,000 mIU/ml
    17 - 24 weeks LMP: 4,060 - 165,400 mIU/ml
    25 - 40 weeks LMP: 3,640 - 117,000 mIU/ml
    Non-pregnant females: <5.0 mIU/ml
    Postmenopausal females: <9.5 mIU/ml
    * These numbers are just a GUIDELINE-- every woman’s level of hCG can rise differently. It is not necessarily the level that matters but rather the change in the level.

I'm so sorry hon!
    misterri

Answer by misterri at 9:13 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I literally just went through this. I went in to my OB after several preg tests came out positive, but faintly so, and then I bled for two days while being told I was probably miscarrying. After the bleeding finished, the doctor asked me to take another test, it still came out positive. I went in and had my HCG tested, it was 35 at 5.5 wks pregnant. It did double two days later. The third test came back without it doubling, and I had an ultrasound. Ends up that I have an ectopic pregnancy (only 1-2% of pregnancies occur this way, so please don't worry) and the bleeding was the first sign. If your HCG numbers continue to decrease on their own, you will miscarry. I am sure you and your doctor will be following this closely, and I wish you only the best.
    I understand how heartbreaking this process is, and I am sorry you are going through it.
    mileymoo

Answer by mileymoo at 12:31 AM on Nov. 9, 2008