HOw safe is it to have sex without a condom while on the mirena, i've had it for 2 years?

I really want to have sex with my boyfriend without a condom and I just wanna make sure how safe it is with the mirena, please help.

cocoabuter

Asked by cocoabuter at 10:41 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• its 99% effective and condoms are 97% effective so i would say youre safe, however the mirena does not protect against STDs and a condom does. (im not trying to say he has an STD, just giving info)
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 10:44 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• What do you mean 'safe'?

Mirena is not a disease prevention method. So, if your bf has anything you don't want (apart from genital warts or herpes), you're going to have to stick with the condoms.

Mirena is, for most people, an effective form of birth control. If that's what you're hoping to be saved from, the condom is probably not necessary as long as you have read and understand the package insert. If you haven't read it, get your pharmacy to print you a copy so you can go through it. Maybe make an appointment with the pharmacist so she can explain it all to you...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:45 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Well to put a personal experience in here, I used it exclusively for two years and never got pregnant.
    HeartsCombined

Answer by HeartsCombined at 10:51 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• WE never use a condom...I mean why would you? What is the point of the Mirena then? We have had it almost 3 years. SO what do you mean by safe pregnancy or disease? Mirena is just for pregnancy.
    Anonymous