For those of you who are in the broom closet (selectively or completely)

Why are you in the broom closet and are you totally in, or only selectively in the closet?

I'm selectively in the closet. I'm out to my friends and my husband, but not to the rest of my family. I'm considering coming out to my (biological) dad if he gets to visit for Christmas because he's the only person in my family that I trust at all. I'm in the closet to the rest of them because I know that if I tell anyone they'll tell my (adoptive) mom about it and she will do everything humanly possible to take my daughter away from me, and she'll probably win (thank you close minded, redneck, hicksville Bible Belt country). I can almost guarantee that I will be found as an unfit parent (she'll make things up if she has to, or if she won't her lawyer would, I know him). If she couldn't win in court, I honestly would not put it past her to do something crazy like kidnap my daughter or even me (to lock up and have me exorcised, etc.). I know she sounds uber crazy (which she is), but other than her "everyone who doesn't believe EXACTLY like me is going to hell" attitude. She's one of those Christians who believes that other Christians are going to hell (especially Baptists and Catholics, for some reason).

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 10:53 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i'm in a selective broom closet, most people assume it about me but i don't talk about religion with most people bc they get crazy about it, i do have one teacher that saw one of my tat's and asked me about it and i told her what it was and she knew what it was. she said she's christian but didn't make me feel terrible about it and said that she doesn't hold it against anyone. she also asked me questions and we began making comparisons.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:58 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I am SO confused.... "Broom Closet?"
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 11:03 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I'd say I'm selectively in the closet. I haven't told the mommy group I'm the organizer for, even though I know most moms are gay friendly. I guess because I've helped several of them through breastfeeding issues, I don't want them to feel weird (I'm a lactation specialist). I don't broadcast it on a tee shirt everywhere I go, but we have HRC stickers on the cars, and I'm relatively open about being bisexual. DH has always been a big supporter of gay rights, and he's great about me being bisexual (I've always been a monogamous person, regardless of the gender of who I am dating).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:04 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I was going to ask the same thing.. Thanks for clearing that up for me Mrs.BAT!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I was in the closet cuz I knew it would break my families heart to know I wasnt of their faith anymore. So I was waiting til I knew they could stomach it better.

However, my sister found out and I was honest and she decided she needed to tell everyone so I was forced out.

However, they still dont know Ive completely left the church and had my name taken off the records. They basically think Im inactive and there is a chance Ill come back one day.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:23 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I dont talk about it to many people...My sister just kinda put 2 and 2 together and then asked me. And I think my grandpa did the same but the rest of my family does not know. A few of my friends know but not many because we dont talk about religion. The only time it comes up is if someone has a sick family member. My husband knows...I actualy never knew about this religion until I meet him and it just made so much more sence to me. I am so thankful to him for that. I knew being a christian was not right for me and I am glad he was able to help open my eyes and find my path. I would like to tell the rest of my family but my mom would just go crazy.....she told a girl at work "my son in law may worship dirt but he treats my daughter right.". This is why I dont say anything to her about it.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:25 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• kind of... my dad knows, but thinks it is a phase (I am 30 yrs old, kind of past phases, eh?)
    My grandparents do not, my stepfather's parents do not..... it is better that I just not tell them. I think MIL thinks it is a phase to, not sure
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 11:28 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Ah! I see! Thanks for clearing it up!!
    mrskrisher

Answer by mrskrisher at 11:20 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I'm selective to a point; I don't hide it. I'm in northeast Texas (I just moved here six months ago from Denver) and I still have my pagan bumper stickers on my car. I haven't had any problems.. yet. I do anticipate them. My dad, bonus mom, and half-brother know but they don't care; they still love me. My mother's family knows but they haven't done or said anything negative. Then again, I'm not sure how many of them REALLY know.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:24 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Have to be selective in Jesusland. At my last job - the first 5 years, until I didn't care if they fired me or not. My first month there I got to see first hand what happens to people in that company if they discover OUTSIDE the office that you aren't a Christian. Also very guarded about how I explain things to DS so he doesn't blurt out the wrong thing at school, since that would endanger his safety. He never hears anything in absolutes, and I only have blots after he goes to bed.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:26 AM on Dec. 19, 2010