• In the Spotlight:

How do you deal with your child's friend that is rude and annoying?

monyka_b

Asked by monyka_b at 8:41 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i have the same issue with my step son....there is this child that lives down the street that is supposed to be his friend. Well...this other child will call my step-son fat and other names (my step-son is thick...but no way is he fat!) I just do not let my step-son play with him....or let him come to the house. My SS knows that the other child is being rude. They are also in the same class (in 3rd grade) so it is hard to keep them apart. But honestly...when the other child is not around his older brother..who is 12 i think...hes an ok kid.
    kayteee25

Answer by kayteee25 at 8:47 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I would speak to the child and the parent . If the child is still rude, your child needs to play with someone else. good luck
    ReikiSexyMOM

Answer by ReikiSexyMOM at 7:19 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I explain, right in front of my children, that we do not talk or behave this way in our home. If it goes on, I will talk to my child about why this is not going to be allowed and why this child may not be a good choice for a friend. I do not get into it with the parent because it is none of my business unless it is abuse. Some families act differently than mine and if my child wasn't respectful of their ways, in their home, I would expect the parents to do the same thing. I don't want a call about my kids "bad" behavior though unless it's harmful to her or them.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 8:09 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

• Yes, I would definitely lay down the law about what is and is not acceptable in your house. If the behavior continues, it is a good lesson for your children to learn that not everyone is "friend" material and certain behaviors aren't acceptable and will cause you trouble in life.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:40 AM on Nov. 9, 2008