What's the earliest a baby can be born and survive?

This is my first child and she (they think it's a girl) likes to move a lot. Some of the movements feel like she's trying to come out, so I worry about her being born early. So I want to know what the earliest a child can be born and survive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I thought it was 23 weeks. I know someone who had 2 babies born at 24 weeks (not twins) both were around 1 lb and are amazingly healthy now considering all they went through. They get sick a lot, but they're not disabled, they just have weaker immune systems than other kids. They are still super tiny, she posted on facebook recently that her 4 year old weighs something like 24 lbs (I can't remember exactly what, but really small)
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• and babies move a lot in the woub...all they do is swim around. she's not coming out early
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:05 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Moving a lot is a GOOD thing! I promise she's not trying to break out, even though it may feel like it! I used to joke that DS was trying to claw his way out.
    Babies have been saved in the later 20s (27 weeks, 28 weeks), but the prognosis isn't usually good, and there are often major health issues.
    I REALLY don't think you need to worry about this! =) I know it can be scary sometimes, like there's an alien in there, but all those movements mean your daughter is THRIVING!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:06 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• 5 months
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:04 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• She is just moving around. She is not trying to come out.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:05 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• 23 weeks gestation
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:06 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• right around the 24 week range but that is usually with some challenges for life. I have a 27 weeker who was 1 1/2# . He has vision issues wearing thick glasses as well as fine motor problems like he can't tie shoes, do buttons, wash hair, etc... About mid 5th grade his writing became legible with cursive still a struggle in 7th grade. He has an IEP and goes to a resource class one period a day. Otherwise I have the usual moody, black wearing, video game playing, bike riding tweenager who on the sly really does love his mommy
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 11:11 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I read an article about a 20-21, I think it was, baby surviving but it was the youngest baby ever. I don't think your baby is trying to come out, though, I could feel my daughters kicking in my vagina all the time and they were both full-term.
    HeartsCombined

Answer by HeartsCombined at 11:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I'm sure you are fine. It's very normal to feel baby kicking like that.
    Good Luck!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:18 AM on Dec. 19, 2010