Do you and your husband work opposite hours? And if so, how do you do it? I mean the marriage and family time thing?

momplus01

Asked by momplus01 at 11:11 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• Yes, I work 20 - 30 hours a week as a part-time police dispatcher evening and weekend. He works a reg. job as an accountant, mon - fri 6am - 4pm... it works out well for us, financially, b/c we don't have to pay for daycare. When I'm at work he's with DD and I get to stay home all day. I work basically every weekend- which sucks but I get to spend some of the weekend with him (when I'm not working or if I'm not at the library). Also, I go to graduate class 1 - 2 nights a week. So, needless-to-say, we don't get to see each other a ton, but when we do it's special and it's fresh. Eventually, I will have my dream job which will be the same hours as him- and summer off!!! I figure I have the rest of my life to spend with him and right now we have to make sacrifices to do what best for our family and our future.
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 12:05 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My in laws have been doing it for a good 15 years and they have one of the strongest marriges I've seen. He works from 10pm-6am and then sleeps until 4 in the afternoon, she works from 7am to 3pm, then they have dinner together and hang out until he has to go to work, she said it was alot harder when the kids were younger, but their son's are all grown now. That being said, while it can be done, couples with opposite scheduals have significantly higher rates of divorce, so just be aware of that and vigilant about your marriage. GL
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 9:46 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• U really just have to make time for each other..even its just couple of hours..every little bit counts and help. Eventually, ur times will work out at least you know why theres no time for each other...its work not cheating
    FayMeek

Answer by FayMeek at 12:42 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I've done full time split shifts in both marriages and it REALLY hurt both marriages-I will never do it again. I just say be cautious to anyone who does it. Both times I did it for my kids so one of us parents would be the caretaker, but at the price of my marriage. Well if you go as a couple what happens to those kids? Put the marriage FIRST then the KIDS that is the biggest thing I have finally learned! If mom and Dad don't put the marriage first divorce happens and there goes the security of the kids.......
    cattiesmom78

Answer by cattiesmom78 at 11:59 AM on Dec. 20, 2010