super confused! can someone explain this to me?

I went in to the OB-GYN on the 8th. I went in for a tube tying constult and the doctor told me that wouldn't be happening because I was pregnant! So shocked and super excited, but alittle scared since we have had miscarriages in the past. The doctor knows my history so he send me in for a bunch of test and an ultra sound. The blood count came back at 9,000 around 8 weeks they said, But they couldn't see anything on the ultrasound and that isn't normal that far along. The doctor told me I could be having twins since the levels are so high and it was early in the pregnancy for twins....since I was on Paragaurd when I got pregnant, and the fertility rate is higher when you are on an IUD. I don't understand HGC levels at all, even most of the websites confuse me. Does anyone know a way to make sense of it. I go back in for another ultrasound on Monday, but I can't help but worry...am I worrying for nothing?

candle5

Asked by candle5 at 11:13 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• at 8 weeks they should see it on ultrasound even if it were twins--

BCG abd hcg are too hard to explain-- but stop worrying just sit back and wait relax... pray
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:20 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I don't have an answer so here's bump for you. GL and I hope for the best :)
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 11:21 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• i went in at 8 weeks for a ultra sound and found out i was having twins what kind of u/s did they do a tummy one or vag one?
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 11:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• they did both and couldnt see anything yet. they said i was too early both ways and needed to be at least 5 1/2 weeks to see anything but then two days later the doc told me i was about 8 weeks. thus another reason i was so confused
    candle5

Comment by candle5 (original poster) at 11:42 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• At 36 days (5 weeks) after your last period, your HCG for a single baby would be between 1200 and 1500. For a multiple pregnancy it would be between 2400 and 36000! There's a huge range in there, but obviously with twins your HCG is going to be quite high.

That would also give you the approximate HCG of 8 weeks gestation for a singleton pregnancy. Since they see nothing, you may not yet be 8 weeks... which would bring the Dr. to the possibility of twins.

Don't stress, good luck!
    MrsBlack530

Answer by MrsBlack530 at 11:59 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• With an HCG of 9,000 there should be SOMETHING, even a sac and fetal pole.
    Good Luck momma!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:16 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Take a deep breath and try not to worry about it too much before Monday.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:26 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I dont know so I bumped you.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 7:08 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Don't worry mine didnt show up on ultrasound at 7 1/2 months...
    Anonymous