Does your child lie?

My daughter is 3, and has been lying.

It is everything from "I didn't eat that candy," though her mouth is smeared with chocolate, to "Auntie Princess bit me!" but Auntie Princess has been in her room for the last 2 hours, and my daughter in her room....

Do you have kids, or did you have kids, that did this? Any advice on how to deal with it? She knows they are lies, and knows they are wrong, but still does it! Even with stuff that doesn't matter at all.

mrskrisher

Asked by mrskrisher at 11:29 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• At 3yrs old they dont understand what a lie is. My twins are the same age and they will blame stuff on each other and tell me stories all the time. 3yr olds have a very active imagination and they might truly think that this or that happened. Your job to to show them the truth and explain the difference between real and fantasy.
    AingealsBabies

Answer by AingealsBabies at 8:47 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• my 4.5 year old ds has started this.. i just tell him lying is bad and give him time out
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 12:05 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• 3 year olds don't lie, they tell stories. Kids will not even understand what a lie is until they are about 5 years old. You can talk to her about the difference between real and pretend, and keep talking about it because she will not understand right away. I wouldn't tell them that lying is bad because sometimes, it's spares hurting someone's feelings unnecessarily.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:10 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• yes he does....he lies about a few things.....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 12:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2010