Any tips for grocery shopping with 4 children??

Here in a few months we are going to have a MAJOR change on our hands- going from 2 children to 4 over night! I am super excited about our twins but just wondering how the heck some of you ladies do it. Any advice on making grocery shopping easier?? Right now we have our 4 year old walk around (she is very well behaved in the store and does great!) and our ALMOST 2 year old sits in the child seat in the basket.. Now to add 2 infants into the mix? OH BOY... Any tips?

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 11:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• A lot of grocery stores deliver --some even pick the stuff out for you. Usually there is no fee when the order is over a certain amount. I would plan to do that for as long as possible. Maybe forever

I always took my kids shopping. I remember, in kindergarten, the looks of awe and wonder on my classmates' faces when they walked into a grocery store for the first field trip of the year --and the first time in their lives! I expected my kids to grow up and move out of the house, and didn't think it would be reasonable for them not to understand where to get food...

Alternately, I would suggest exactly the opposite of what most people might say: go every single day. When it's part of the routine, and you're there with fed, rested children for a very short time getting very few things, you'll have a lot fewer problems than you will if you put it off for 3 or 4 weeks and need to spend 90 minutes there.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:23 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Look into home delivery or store pick up. The fee for this in our area ranges from $6 - $10. I think that would be $$ well spent for you! Good luck with the twins!!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:24 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• The most I had was 3...LOL For groceries I tend to go at night when they sleep because I need to concentrate...LOL I always put my older two in a car cart the store had and the baby in her carrier in the seat area. I take all three most everywhere. You are going to have your hands full though.....
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Take someone with you who can push 1 cart with 1 of the babies & the 2 yo while you push the other cart with the other baby & the 4 yo, or have someone come take care of 3 of them while you quick go with 1 of them, or go when your hubby's home to take care of them. Or...wear 1 baby, keep the other in the carseat and put that on the cart, put the 2yo in the cart, and have the 4yo push a 2nd cart for the groceries, or put the groceries in witht he 2yo if you don't need a whole lot. I've gone here & there with my 4, but I don't have twins!
    Anonymous

• I would wear one of them and place the other in an infant seat. Sometime I will push one cart and pull another. I would continue to have your oldest walk and decide what works best for you. I also sometime put a basket under the cart because you can put smaller things under. We will figure it all out. Good luck!!
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:43 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• DONT...lol...i rarely grocery shop with my two and one of them is 10! if i just have to run in and get a few things fine (though in your case i wouldnt even do that), but if i have to do serious shopping then NO kids are coming with me...my SO can watch them easier at home than i can at the store, so i wait until sometime when he's home.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 11:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Well I won't have that luxury for about 8 months straight lol Hubby will have to deploy a little while after I have the twins. Then i'm on my own!!
    Ctink8189

Comment by Ctink8189 (original poster) at 12:46 AM on Dec. 19, 2010