If I break my lease...

By moving out, and I am only one of three, if the other two cover the rent and stay the durration of the lease, I can't be sued and it won't hurt my credit right? If you read any of my other questions, you'll know why. I don't feel like doing into detail aaaaaalllllllll over again. I was trying to get someone to take over my lease but they are sabotaging my every attempt, yet still forcing me out of the house...

there should really be an "other" catagory for posting these quesitons...

poweredbycarma

Asked by poweredbycarma at 12:31 AM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• If your name is on the lease, you're on the hook for the other third. You would need to modify the agreement with the landlord and your roommates to protect yourself from being sued.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:33 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Hmmm you are in a pickle. I would suggest filing police reports when diff things happen with these guys. this would be a way out....paper trail!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 12:36 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Well, the only other tiem I've ran into this problem was 6 years ago when my two of my room mates bailed and left me paying rent. I obviously couldn't pay it. We didn't get sued until it got to the point I couldn't pay anymore. If it goes to court, Id say there's 50/50 chance I could win... but I don't want to even get to that point or wonder if it will go there.
    poweredbycarma

Comment by poweredbycarma (original poster) at 12:37 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• If your landlord isn't a total moron, you can go directly to him and tell him what's going on and find out what, in his opinion, would be best for you to do. he will likely point out that your inability to select sensible roomies isn't your problem, as you signed the lease, too... but may insist your roommates re-sign the agreement leaving you out of it, if they're dying for you to go.

You could start legal proceedings against the two of them for your third of the rent --which would stop the credit stuff from falling in your lap.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:37 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• To Harris... I have sincerely thought about it and had friends suggest it, but what I will the cops do? Tell them to be nice to me? They are just saying things and telling me to leave and harrassing me through text messages ... they haven't touched my stuff or gotten physical.
    poweredbycarma

Comment by poweredbycarma (original poster) at 12:38 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• At Linda, they can't afford it on their own... they are telling me I am stuck in the lease for a year and being very cruel about it... but then yesterday and today they told me to get the fuck out... but won't work with me on getting someone to take over my lease.
    poweredbycarma

Comment by poweredbycarma (original poster) at 12:39 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• They can't legally force you out if your name is on the lease. The only thing they can do is make is to miserable for you to stay. I would suggest cantacting your landlord and explaining the situation and asking for his advice.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 12:42 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Hmmm well in my state if they call certain names like b##@@ or say f@#@ you ... then that is harrassment or slander or somethng like that. If anything um maybe disorderly conduct or disturbing the peace. Maybe you even have a neighbor you are familiar with that would also call or at least witness?...gl
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 12:43 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Depending on where you live, if your name is on the lease, you have to reach a new written agreement with the landlord, or you're stuck and they can take legal action. If your name is not on the lease, leave tomorrow, nothing they can do. Try telling them to get the bleep out. I would, then you can get new roomies and maybe you can take the legal action on them!
    Indyk

Answer by Indyk at 12:45 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I would go with asking your land lord. The landlord (usually) isn't aware of what the terms are with who pays what in your house whether you all pay 1/3 or if it is different. So if you don't pay and they don't cover you then you will ALL have it on your credit and rental history. Tell them that it isn't just your problem and they will all be in trouble unless they want to cover your rent as well, and that they might as well let someone else take over for you. Go through your lease a see if you can find any way out of it. I once lived with an abusive boyfriend and they allowed me to break the lease and not have to pay the ridiculous amount. If it is harassment even if it isn't physical you could get the police involved.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 12:48 AM on Dec. 19, 2010