my son eats alooot and his always hungery and my husbend asks me every day if i fead him or not?

my son eats alot i feed him all the time and when i ask him after he just eat if he is hungry he would say yes he wants to eat. i feed him before we go to my mom's house but when he gets there he tells them that he wants to eat and then they talk to me just like i dont fed him or something. that is really crazy that every where we go he is not shy to ask for food. when my husbend comes home and sit down and eat, my son comes and look around us and my husbend thinks that the little boy is hungery and that mabey i didnt fed him. this realy bothers me esapeacialy if we are at some ones house. i left my son at my mom's house and she called me saying that i am right he really eats alot and keeps asking for food. i am glad that know they belive me. but again that really bothers me. how can i teach him to eat what he needs and no more?????? how can i make him stop craying about food food food???

nadin8

Asked by nadin8 at 12:40 AM on Dec. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You could avoid the whole problem by offering healthier foods.

When the quality of food is low, the nutrients available are low --so people are hungry all the time to enable their bodies to get the minuscule amounts of vitamins and minerals in sufficient quantities to live.

When the quality of food is very high, far less is needed to be satisfying... and it has more staying power. He needs fats, protein, and natural sugars in proportion... so if his diet is very low fat, he'll be hungry all the time, same as if it's very low in protein.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:43 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• How old is he? This may need to be brought to your doctors attention. There are metabolic conditions that result in the sensation of hunger. They are rare but something to keep on the back burner.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 12:45 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• first you check with your doctor it sounds like your child is or does not no what full is if keeps eating this way he will get fat , give him his three meals a day some snacks but don't over feed him he is going to get to teen years and he pick up more eating habits then but for now just write down what he is eating and tell your doctor they will do test and good luck
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 12:48 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I agree. Everyone has diff metabolism.. he hungry feed him just offer a lot of fruit n veggies. Not empty calorie foods. Protiens also! Just try and determine if he is eating out of pure hunger or sheer boredom. Usually i can distract mine with a board game or something if they aren't truly hungry. But dont worry cause mine are same way. i use to tell my mom don't worry i already fed them...well not any more cause they gonna eat over here any way!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 12:50 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• What kind of foods is he eating? If it's junk of course he's going to want more and more. DS will do this. If he gets something that TASTES good he'd eat and eat and eat if if we let him. If it's healthy he suddenly doesn't have enough room for all of his food. It might just be a "craving" vs being hungry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I would have a discussion with your doctor first and then maybe plan out his snacks for the week. IF he is eating junk food, switching his taste buds over is not a quick deal. Letting them have choices helps. If he is still hungry between meals/planned snacks, try a glass of skim milk or 100% natural juice with a handful of almonds. I know that my son "self-medicated" with food, it was his comfort. It also led him to be obese by middle school. He is healthy now, but I didn't get help for his behavior soon enough to be effective. He accomplished his changes on his own in high school, but it was very difficult for him. I would make that doctor appointment NOW. Good Luck to you.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 6:13 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My three year old does the same thing!!! I can stuff her little belly with a peanut butter sandwich, string cheese, yogurt, and strawberries and by the time we get to my mom's house, which is like 10 minutes away she is in her pantry asking for food. I always laugh and say, "I swear I feed her". I use to get really embarrassed too, but my mom always reassures me that it's just a kid thing. She like being able to see and touch all the food in her pantry. Maybe you could pack a little snack with you. I try to do that, but she never wants it lol only what my mom or friends have!
    Luvmybooskies

Answer by Luvmybooskies at 6:51 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My three year old does the same thing!!! I can stuff her little belly with a peanut butter sandwich, string cheese, yogurt, and strawberries

Poor kid where are the veggies? No wonder the kid is hungry I would be too after eating that crap.
    Anonymous

• I really don't think it's normal for a kid to eat all that crap you mentioned luvmybooskies and STILL be hungry!!! What does she actually get to eat when at grandma's?

No wonder kids are overweight. It's not like 100 years ago where they were doing tons of physical work in the fields or anything but parents still stuff their kids full of tons of food!
    Anonymous

• My 10mo old son does the same thing. He could eat all day and not be full and my husband always asked if I feed the baby!!!! My son just started eatting 'really food' all the time. He still drinks 24+ ounces of formula a day and at least three FULL meals a day. And will snack 2 or more times a day. I feed him very healthy foods---- veggies, fruits, grains, meat. No sugar and very low salt. I've always made him homemade food.
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 9:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2010