Has anyone ever had their dog have a reaction using a flea and tick product...if so what product?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Pets

• A lot of those neck drops that you buy at the store for both dogs and cats have caused many reactions in people's pets, including some fatalities. I would be very careful using those--I used some Hartz ones on a cat, and he nearly died. He had some kind of neurological reaction and he shook uncontrollably and foamed at the mouth for a full day after we applied it. At that point, I went to the internet and discovered that this is a common problem. I NEVER used those again, and stuck with the prescription ones from the vet. Yeah, they were more expensive, but none of my cats ever had any negative reactions to them, and they were more effective anyway.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:15 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My dogs have never had a reaction to the flea products I have used on them. I have seen dogs have a reaction to the over the counter products like Hartz. I had acat though that would have a localized reaction to frontline. She would loose her fur where the frontline was put on her but that was it.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:51 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I had a dog that no matter what brand I used, he was allergic to it. He would get all feverish and throw up. My vet had an affair with him with all the visits we made. The vet recommended to give my BJ garlic everyday. After 2 months or so, the garlic in his system acts like a built in flea repellant. So now on my grocery list is garlic powder for cooking and for the dog.
    bnnsweet

Answer by bnnsweet at 11:19 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• sorry i'm a mail lady and deathly afaid of dogs
    onaugh

Answer by onaugh at 11:21 AM on Dec. 19, 2010