Do you still give a thumbs up if

their answer is sad :( I give everyone a thumbs up regardless if they agree or not, just to say thanks for taking the time to answer. But, if someone is feeling down, or sad it seems inapproiate, like I'm happy for them. What are your thoughts?

Kathy675

Asked by Kathy675 at 1:36 AM on Dec. 19, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I think most people use the vote up to indicate that they appreciate the answer; if they agree with the sentiment, think it was a heartfelt answer, or it's particularly nice or well- worded or thought out. I usually vote up all the answers to my questions, just because they took the time to answer, & really good answers on others' questions. Hope that makes sense, or helps you! Hugs, doll!

KA91

Answer by KA91 at 2:22 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Well, how many people pay attention to the thumbs up notion? How many are critical of their standings on the Answers portion of CM?

While your explanation is completely logical, it does also make sense you may have offended a person or two in the process...

But at the end of the day, will people still care?

LoL, I don't think I'm being helpful at all, but I don't think many people are really going to take it to heart & wake up in the morning with it still on their minds.
    crystaLuv

Answer by crystaLuv at 1:43 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I would think if I wrote something sad and someone voted it up that they still thought it was a good response or maybe were just trying to be encouraging. I think I would be more LIKELY to be offended if someone gave it a thumbs down, kind of like saying, what are you saying or feeling something like that for?! haha
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 4:53 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I sure hope I haven't offended anyone, I think you might have misunderstood. Sometimes I'll ask a question and someone may respond with a death in the family or illness and it makes me sad. Sounds crazy having feelings for other in virtual world but thats me. I have seen questions from cm members concerning the thumbs up and just want to know the proper etiquette.
    Kathy675

Comment by Kathy675 (original poster) at 2:00 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Thank you KA91, it does. I appreciate your help.
    Kathy675

Comment by Kathy675 (original poster) at 2:27 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• If the answer is appropriate to the question it will get a thumbs up. I don't give many anyway though.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 5:21 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I have given a few "sad" answers before and have received thumbs-up for them. I never took it to mean that they were happy for my pain; I understood it as a show of support and appreciation for sharing a personal experience.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:20 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• maybe think of it as
    a thumbs up for sharing a very personal story, even sad
    sad crap happens, maybe someone can learn from it or relate to it
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:52 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I'd be more likely to copy part of the answer and write something directly than just blindly vote it up. It's similar to like on FB. When someone puts up something about a death in the family, you want to show support, but you don't want to click "like".
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:05 AM on Dec. 19, 2010