What would be worse.... (foodstamp Q)

Struggling to put healthy food on the table for your children, or being on foodstamps to supplement until your situation gets better?
In the past 5 years, my family has been on and off foodstamps while my husbands' income has fluctuated from 1200 per MONTH to over $4000 per month. Currently, we recieve foodstamps because he went from making $25 an hour (Union Roofing company went belly up) to making $8.50 an hour... I'm not proud of it, but I am extremely grateful that it's available and thankful my kids can eat healthy meals every day and I don't have to worry about them being underfed or malnourished...problem is, we're the only ones in both my and his family that get assistance and they make us feel really ashamed. Kinda pisses me off. My kids eat fruits and/or veggies at every meal and that is not something we could do with out having benefits. Why can't they just accept we're doing what we can to take care of our children??

KariLyn84

Asked by KariLyn84 at 1:42 AM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Anyone who works and pays taxes should NEVER be ashamed of getting assistance when needed. That's why we pay our taxes, and for anyone, especially family members who make you feel bad should be ashamed of themselves. They should be greatful you're not tapping into their income and most importantly you're taking care of your family!! Hold your head up high and never allow anyone to make you feel that way!!!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:48 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• As long as your family is getting fed & staying healthy, that's all that matters.

Unless you're one of those families who ONLY buys junk food & TV dinners then I will tell you now what a waste of tax payers' money!

LoL, but seriously don't let them get you down because you & your husband are the ones taking care of your kids. Your negative family members aren't going through your struggle so don't let their comments get you down. Some times you gotta take a step back & stand up for yourself. Do what you gotta do to survive, ain't no shame in that!
    crystaLuv

Answer by crystaLuv at 1:48 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I would take the food stamps rather than struggle. Your kids need to eat health.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 1:50 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• The important factor in this is that your kids have something in their belly. As long as your taking care of your business you have nothing to be ashame about. That what's wrong with people nowadays. Everyone is too concern with everyone status and is quick to judge. Nobody want to be on food stamps or any other assistance but you have to grateful for what you can get. But make it priority to come above it and thank god when you do. On a real note you got do what you got do. Forget the pride or shameless in the game and don't let anyone else make you feel like crap. Do you and you will be fine
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 1:58 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• As far as junk food buyers on foodstamps -WATCH OUT! I'm trying to push for our local government to ban that crap from foodstamps. Comparing obesity rates to unemployment rates, and the increase in the amount of applicants for foodstamps...its pretty obvious. Soda, candy and junk is nothing I allow in my household. Never have, never will. In fact my kids went to the dentist on monday and the Dr told me "no offense, but for these kids having medicaid, their teeth are perfect!" My kids get a little candy at the holidays, but they get fresh fruit and veggies with every meal, every day. It is expensive and adds up, but my kids are healthy, and active. I have tried getting a job, but with 4 under 5 and no friends or family or qualifications, I can't afford daycare. Even making minimum wage, we wouldlt get assistance. Why pay someone else to raise my kids... My husband is up for MGMT at work, we're just getting by til he's promoted!
    KariLyn84

Comment by KariLyn84 (original poster) at 1:56 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My husband has been laid off and where we are is pretty rural and there are not any jobs available right now because it is winter and most jobs are summer jobs ( such as resorts ) so I am struggling with the idea that maybe we need to go on food stamps but it is hard because we live in a town of 600 and so once that EBT card gets used at the local grocery EVERYONE will know we are on the foodstamps. this is the kind of town where your in the grocery line with your kids teacher and run into the principle at the drug store.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• To Anonymous in small town, I understand that completely. I'm the youngest of 6 and somehow all my sibling know we're on FS. Sucks, but hey, I don't buy junk, my kids eat something new every few days, they are healthy, smart and growing well- I'd rather be ashamed of taking foodstamps to give my kids what they deserve, than to starve them to save my own pride.... Good luck. and NEVER be embarrassed to do what's right for your kids. I feel like it's there for a reason, so long as your hubby is trying for a job and not chilling our on unemployment for months on end, it can't hurt. Good Luck :)
    KariLyn84

Comment by KariLyn84 (original poster) at 2:08 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• So, if you feel this strongly, do something to make more money. Get your kids involved. The idea that you can't have more money because dh is currently underemployed is... well, silly, frankly.

During the depression, my grandmother hot-framed lettuce (grew it through the winter --lots of work involved, but SO valuable in cold northern climates where fresh veg was months ago), took in laundry, baked and sold bread and made soap. At least 2 of those are still available to stay-at-home mothers... along with a great many other jobs both moms and kids can do.

Do something about your situation, and you'll feel a whole lot more powerful in your life.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:47 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I would honestly rather struggle then take food stamps.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:45 AM on Dec. 19, 2010