When should a child give up the pacifier?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I've had 5 children and EVERY one of them sucked on a pacifier!!!! Pacifiers to some children are like security blankets to others. They are comforting to both child and parent,lol. They will give them up when they are ready and I feel that the older they get and more secure they become it will be history!! HONEST!!!
    tamylenon

Answer by tamylenon at 2:51 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I honestly don't think they should have them to begin with, but if you go that way, they should get rid of them once they get teeth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My son stop taking one at 10 months. Anything past year...would be pushing it for our family.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:17 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• The need to suck for comfort is a biological need and if they aren't getting that need fulfilled at the breast, a pacifier is usually how it is fulfilled. This sucking need is usually outgrown when the adult teeth start growing in and the child loses the sucking reflex. I didn't know this with my oldest and took his pacifier away at 4 years old. My youngest never took a pacifier and has always had his sucking needs met at the breast and will until he outgrows the need.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 4:09 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• by the time my twins were 18mths old, they were only taking it for naps and night night time. They werent allowed to have it durning the day at all. Soon after that they just forgot about the binkie and went to sleep with out it. I dont think that they should have it after 2yrs. It will do more harm than good. :)
    AingealsBabies

Answer by AingealsBabies at 8:42 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• When the CHILD is ready to be done with it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:05 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• my dd is just now at 3 1/2 starting to be able to go without on for long times. But she has sensory issues and we introduced the paci to get her to stop biting and sucking on her arms
    ladysummeraire

Answer by ladysummeraire at 3:27 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• we cut dd off the pacifier about a month ago...she's 2 1/2.
    cheribabii613

Answer by cheribabii613 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• i took the paci away at 12 months, he was fine without it.
    KateMc

Answer by KateMc at 1:45 AM on Dec. 21, 2010

• I let my daughter have it until about 4-5 months than i gave her a blankie and she was fine :)
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 2:40 AM on Dec. 21, 2010