Do you make your kids say yes ma'am and yes sir when speaking to an adults?

I was raised to say yes ma'am and yes sir. Til this day I still say it to my parents and anyone older than myself. My husband and I were raised pretty much the same so we also make our kids say it. And if they slip and say yeah to an adult we correct them on the spot. Who else is the same way? I know a lot of people still do but I think its not something enforced today as it was when we were growing up.

True_Gator_77

Asked by True_Gator_77 at 2:55 AM on Dec. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was raised in a military home(Air Force). I was expected to address an adult properly and my DH and I have taught our children the same. It's not a Southern thing, a military thing or any other thing. It's just common courtesy and respect for people.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:33 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Yes, he has to say sir or ma'am and please and thank you. We are big on manners and I hardly have to correct him anymore he just does it.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 4:44 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• No. When ma'am and sir were in routine use, children were also addressed formally by strangers: Miss Girl and Master Boy.

Respect and formality are never one-way streets, in my world. You want me to call you Doctor, you call me Missus. You want to call me Linda, that's your first name, too --no matter who you are. Older has nothing to do with it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:57 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Not necessarily yes mam or sir but I do enforce manners! I think that's a huge problem today, I encounter waaaay too many kids who have NO manners and who are not disciplined. My kids might once in awhile do something naughty or embarassing, but it is not common for my kids to misbehave... in public anyways :P lol
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 9:31 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• My husband & i are raising our son the same way. It's just a sign of good manners something that a lot of kids these days are seriously lacking.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 9:33 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Yes i do! But i also say yes maam and yes sir to them.... my neice thinks it is hilarious!.....she is 4. But if we are just talking and playing....was your day good....yea it was ok..........no biggie. But if we are talking business or serious...it's all manners. manners to strangers also.
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 3:01 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• That's not something that was done when I was growing up. I think it's more of a southern thing. I grew up in Chicago and no one I knew said sir or ma'am unless they were being a wise-ass. And by the time I was old enough to address my friends' parents it was no longer in style to call them Mr or Mrs. We were asked to just call them by their first names. My kids call all their friends' parents by their first names and vice-versa. I'm still always a little taken aback when I hear someone says Mrs. and my last name, lol. And I've been married for almost 11 years. It's just so very rarely used (usually it's a teacher). I did get called "miss" at Red Robin today, lol. We were taught that "Miss" was for a young or unmarried woman. "Ma'am" is appropriate for someone my age who obviously is married with kids. I sniggered at the thought of being a "Miss". You can still be polite without saying sir or ma'am.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:27 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I don't live in an area where people do that. I think it's a Southern thing.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:20 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• It is a Southern thing. I taught my kids to do that, but I've gotten some really rude comments from people in the north, saying that I'm making them be submissive. I try not to be rude back, so I just say "really?" and smile, and wonder how much father in life they might have gone if they had been taught simple manners.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:46 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Yes ma'am I do. I wasn't raised to say it, but was raised to say yes Mrs/Mr _________ not yeah. I do think it is more a southern thing. I was born in the north and moved to the south as a child. My ex was raised in the south and he yes sir's and ma'ams everyone.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:54 AM on Dec. 19, 2010