running and spitting up blood

Ok so I just went running for the first time since I had my son (4 months ago) and I wanted to start out so slow, so my goal was a mile. About at a 1/2 mile I felt like I needed to cough for some reason and I started spitting up blood. This continued until after about 5 minutes after getting back home. Has this ever happened to anyone? Should I be worried? I feel ok I suppose just alittle weak, but I figure it's just from the running....?

luvsgriffin

Asked by luvsgriffin at 9:05 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Health

• Yes you should be worried. I would call your DR asap. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• If I was spitting up blood I would be at the er just to be safe you had better get that checked out
    Anonymous

• I agree... that doesn't sound normal. Go to, or at least call the ER if you can't get to your doctor.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:09 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• any blood being spit up is not a good sign please go see your doctor asap
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 9:17 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I have been a runner, running up to half marathons. This isn't normal, and it's not from running. Call your dr. or go to ER or urgent care ASAP.
    Anonymous

• If it were me I would go to the emrgency room and have that checked out NOW...Not to scare you but spitting up blood is not a runners thing. I was a runner and never did I ever spit up blood. The only time I ever spit up blood was when I had or have pneumonia...Have you been sick? Do you still feel weak? Please take care of this ASAP...
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 12:43 AM on Nov. 9, 2008