Moms of only children: What is your reason for having just one ( if that was your choice)?

Our son is five and we have finally decided no more. I love my son, but the thought of what pregnancy does to my body and losing countless hours of sleep at the age of 30 is enough to keep us from trying for another one. For other mothers of onlies, what was your reason for having no more? Just curious.

1bizzymommy

Asked by 1bizzymommy at 3:27 AM on Dec. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was seriously conflicted about this & did not have sex with my husband for probably 5 months after my son was born. Then I decided that I couldn't handle more than one. A lot of moms do great with more kids, but I had to consider my abilities. I have a lot more help than most moms, but sometimes feel emotionally stretched even now. Another kids simply wouldn't get the same amount of attention. I take my son to 3, sometimes 4 activities per week. I don't think that with another kid each would get 3 activities.
    Verrine

Answer by Verrine at 8:20 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I can't afford another child. I had my son at 19 and I'm 26 now so I'm comfortable with how things are. I can take care of my child and myself without any help and honestly I don't want to go through sleepless nights and dirty diapers again. My son is almost 7 and I don't want to have kids with that large of an age gap
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 4:41 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• i have 1 beautiful 2 yr old.. but dont want another.. i use to want 5.. kids r beautiful but hard work.. my reason is mostly i can provide everything my baby needs plus more with only her.. another would make me feel like i cant give them what they want or need.. also she is really good im scared my next wouldnt be lol
    kiwisz

Answer by kiwisz at 6:45 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I just never had that feeling again of really wanting a baby. My DH & I always thought we'd have at least 2, but once we had our son, we were happy. Fortunately, we agreed!

We talked about having another baby when my son was about 3, to give our son a brother or sister. But ultimately we decided that wasn't reason enough to have another child.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:22 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I was 35 when I had my son. He was diagnosed with autism at three. I thought about having another one, but then decided against it because we have to give a lot of attention to Matthew and it wouldn't be fair to another child to put him/her in that situation. Also, I had trouble getting pregnant and I didn't want to go through a fertility workup again.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 8:03 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I was 36, almost 37, when I had my daughter. I'm 40 now. I'm not putting my body through pregnancy and months of sleep deprivation again.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:18 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Well i had my DD at 30 and my hubby has 2 other children from his ex girlfriend. Long story short i did alot of not so healthy things to my body before i had my DD and the stress we went though while i had in my belly we didn't want to go though again. I thank god everyday that my baby girl is as healthy as could be.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:45 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• This has been asked before and my answer was always- i like our family size, my son will get to experience so many more things because we won't have to take 2 kids... and many more, I still stand by that however.....
    I have gotten baby fever like crazy over the last few years (comes and goes in spurts) and we decided to try for one more (he's been bugging me since our son was 6 month old) in a year.... yikes, if we don't have anymore I'm going to be perfectly happy.... but i'm open to the idea of more now
    lovemylilman06

Answer by lovemylilman06 at 9:31 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I'm not positive that we're done, but we are leaning toward making a decision to be done. I always thought I would have at least a couple kids, but I started late. I just turned 35, so I feel like if I don't decide to have another baby soon then I will probably be done mostly because of increased risks. I would love for my son to have a sibling, but my son had GER and that first year was really hard on us. I know it's possible the next child would not have the same problems or might be more laid back than he was, but I just don't know if I have it in me to do that again. Then again, even if the first couple years were rough, hopefully it would be better later. There are also financial considerations as well. If I want to stay home with another child too, then that would stretch things even further than just staying home with my DS until he's in school. I can't decide...I go back and forth all the time.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:44 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I have one of my own. It was our decision that there are plenty of people in the world and many children already born on this earth who do not have great lives. It is curious that I do not meet more people with this attitude.
    notjustmom213

Answer by notjustmom213 at 9:05 AM on Dec. 19, 2010