Child support ?

He mailed a money order to me directly. How do I make sure he gets credit for his payments through the courts?

oliviahank

Asked by oliviahank at 7:29 AM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• If he's consistent, just call them and let them know. I wouldn't let my ex pay me directly, I insisted on it going through the courts because I know how he was with his 1st wife.

Answer by missanc at 8:22 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• You can send it back to him and instead tell him to mail it where he is supposed to. My child support has to be sent directly to Child Support Enforcement. That's not really your responsibility to keep track of what he pays, he really needs to be do what he is supposed to do. Maybe I'm not understanding....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:51 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Make a copy and send it to them

Answer by admckenzie at 11:48 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Oops! He has to make the payment through the agency before you get yours.
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 11:57 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• One time my ex had given his first wife money when she asked for it. She wrote a letter to the agency stating that she needed some money and that he had given it to her and would they please deduct it from what he owed. They did. Granted, this was 15 years ago, so they might not do things like that anymore, but you could call them and ask.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:26 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• He should submit his money order receipts to the court - if I were you I would keep out of it.
    mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 12:53 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• make a copy then keep it. tell him from now on the send them to child support office so hes sure to get credit. its not your job to keep up with his payments.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 3:04 PM on Dec. 19, 2010

• maybe make a copy of it but usually if he mails it directly to you it does not count
    mistik75

Answer by mistik75 at 6:22 PM on Dec. 19, 2010