How to brush 18 month's teeth?

I would like to brush my daughter's teeth daily. She is 18 months and I am afraid she might eat the toothpaste. Would it be a bad idea to brush her teeth with salt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:31 AM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't use toothpaste yet. Just brush them with water and a soft toothbrush. If you do it before naptime and at bedtime, you will be rinsing the acid and sugar off the teeth and that will prevent decay.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:33 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Just brush her teeth with toothpaste made for babies and use just a pea size amount.
    3girlmomma

Answer by 3girlmomma at 7:52 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• at 18 months i would just use a very small amount of kids toothpaste. what small amount she swallows is not going to hurt her.
    ksanders

Answer by ksanders at 8:00 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I use the kids tooth paste and I barely put any on the toothe brush just enough for him to taste cause he likes the tast and will let me brush lol
    MsLouLou

Answer by MsLouLou at 8:08 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Just use the baby toothpaste without flouride, or none at all. If you brush just with water it will get everything off.

Answer by missanc at 8:19 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• In the infant section,they make an infant toothpaste that contains no flouride. It is safe to swallow. It comes with a fingertip toothbrush.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:36 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• what i do i use the infant toothbrush and the infant toothpaste and we do it together everymorning. at first my dd would just suck on the brush but now she watches me do it and imitates me. including front and back teeth. she loves to brush her teeth.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:11 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• You should be using children's toothpaste already. If she swallows it, it'll be ok.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 9:50 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Just use a small amount of fluoride free toddler toothpaste. They should not use regular toothpaste--at least until they can spit well around age 4, I think. I try to make it fun, and encourage him to let me have a turn and then he has a turn so he can practice and I can make sure it's done thoroughly. I make sure we do it before nap time and bedtime, so he isn't going to sleep without rinsing and brushing.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:27 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• There are other brands, but this is what we use....I've seen it in the baby aisles and with the regular toothpaste and toothbrushes. At Target, it's usually with the regular toothpaste.

Orajel Toddler Training Toothpaste
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:30 AM on Dec. 19, 2010