Welcome basket for new residents

I am the new welcoming committee for my townhouse community of 150 homes. I was planning on putting together a basket when new neighbors arrive - but I'm doubting the association is going to be funding any of this. I was contacting local shops - grocery stores, pizza places, coffee shops to see if they would like to donate anything - coupons, menu's, specials, etc. I was also thinking about making Chocolate-Zucchini Gems (or other home cooked goodie) and putting it in there. OR maybe some pantry staples like soup or flour, sugar, salt, pepper? I figure the basket is about $5 - should I approach the association with an estimate of $20 per basket? I was also going to include a list of basic rules and some phone numbers for electric, cable and stuff. What would you like to get in a welcome basket and are my ideas bad?

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 8:16 AM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Your ideas are great, but I wouldn't do the pantry staples. If they won't fund that, then skip the baked goods, and put the information in a manilla envelope.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:27 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• its a great idea with all the basic info that people need.....but i would skip the food and do like a nice scented candle , you never know what someones dietery needs are.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 8:41 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Getting menus for local restaurants, a list of local businesses (especially supermarkets, hardware stores, etc.), schools, houses of worship, govt. offices would be really helpful when moving to a new area. I'd contact your local chamber of commerce and see if they have anything available that you could add to the basket/packet. Does your local govt. put out an annual calendar with school/govt. office/refuse collection schedules? That, too would be valuable. Does your local library have pamphlets on county services? Getting copies of all those things would be useful, too (I'd contact the organizations directly, rather than taking a bunch of copies from the library.) Although the baked goods might not be eaten, I think they are a friendly thing to give, and the goodwill they express is valuable.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:02 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I think you have some great ideas. If they have children you may want to include the name and number for the schools in your district and a map of your area.
    lmwh73

Answer by lmwh73 at 9:29 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I used to operate my own gift basket company, and this was one of the best selling items I assembled! Of course the baskets were all personalized and contents varied depending on the budget I was given. I included things such as toiletries, coupons, local community guide (see your local Chamber of Commerce or Town Hall) that had phone numbers and key info about community services (emergency services, garbage collection, utility companies, etc,), and often times coupons, a recent newspaper, jar candles, and matches, even a nice bottle of champagne and toasting flutes--personalized if the budget allowed!

I also offered my gift basket services to local real estate agents/companies, who often purchased my baskets to give to their clients upon closing. Baskets ranged from $25 to $150, and I made about 50% profit--depending on what I could purchase in bulk and in advance. I gave agents percent off discounts for repeat business.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:36 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I would skip the food too. Include a local map, plus addresses of the post office, town hall, etc. Wonderful thing to do!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:29 AM on Dec. 19, 2010