Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how can i get my son back

My ex gets residential custody starting jan 2 help he did  not get full custody joint he just kept taking me to court, i have a job, a nice apartment, no child abuse or drugs, or men or anything

Answer Question

Asked by suzyq543 at 8:36 AM on Dec. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Need more info... Why do you not have custody of him?

    Answer by shanlaree at 8:38 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

  • It takes a lot for a judge to take a child from it's mom. What are the reasons that he is getting it?

    Answer by Jademom07 at 8:39 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

  • There are reasons the courts decided that the child should be with him. If you feel that the court is wrong, you'd have to prove that you can provide a better environment, better supervision, and better parenting than he provides. It's all up to you.

    Answer by caseyandkids at 8:39 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

  • hi it is not that hard now for dads to get residential custody, i have joint custody now and visitation his dad just has a better home even though i have a nice apartment and have been taking care of my son since he is 1 yrs old he is 9 now, his dad just kept trying for custody and took me to court for 3 yrs broke me finanically, i have worked as a teacher aide for yrs and supported my son with little child support from his dad, and his dad never took him to sports etc, and never communicated with me, my ex is a very mean person

    Comment by suzyq543 (original poster) at 8:42 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

  • I wish I could help, I've seen some pretty messed up stuff be approved by a judge, I feel for you I really do. Sorry I have no advice :(

    Answer by marine_wife0520 at 9:24 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

  • You can try for an appeal. I agree it is not that hard for a mother to lose her child to the father these days. It can happen for any little reason now. I have been in that position as well. You need to document everything that you can provide for your son and everything he can provide for him and what he is willing to do for your son. Talk to your son and see if he wants to live with dad. He is 9 he should be able to help figure out what he wants to do and that way he will not resent you for keeping him from dad if that is what he wants. Other then that all I can say is give it a try it may work out for the best for all involved and if not you will be able to get what you will need to have custody changed over to you. Good luck I know how hard and heart breaking this can be.

    Answer by angelmine2011 at 10:38 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

  • Prove him unfit

    Answer by gatorswife at 11:18 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.