Name 3 black diney characters.

I went shopping for a doll for my daughter and only found one black doll (princess Tiana). In my frustration I spoke to the manager, she told me that someone in minnesota was make the decisions of what product will be sold in Pembroke Pines Florida . This neighborhood is 30% black (all upper middle class working professionals..... I am so annoyed!   frustrated

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 8:52 AM on Dec. 19, 2010 in Shopping

• The muses in Hercules were black. Tiana, her mother and father, and the doctor were black. Cobra Bubbles in Lilo and Stitch was black.

For a corporate office in another city to decide what merchandise is sold is not uncommon - actually a very common practice.

For me, I don't really care what color a doll is .. I teach my daughters that people come in all colors. They have dolls with varying ethnicity.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 8:57 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Tiana is the first African American Disney Princess. Woah, I find that sad. How long has Disney been around? But, there is an Arabic princess, Jasmine. An Asian princess, Mulan. And a Native American princess, Pocahontas.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 8:57 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Maybe you should contact the main office of the store in which you shop, I'm sure if they thought they would sell more of an item (or an ethnicity - I'm really not sure how to say it correctly) then they would alter what is sold in your stores. Chances are good that they have no idea about who lives in your area.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:58 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• For me, I don't really care what color a doll is ..
    Answer by caseyandkids

I agree with you. But I think all races should be represented.
    OP, get her a Princess Fiona doll!! In my opinion, she's the best princess. Proof that you don't have to be "perfect" to find true love! =)
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:00 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Do you remember this study? My daughter abiracial child failed miserably. I never dicussed race with her. But, she does spend 8 hours in school. That I have no control over.

http://newsone.com/nation/news-one-staff/cnn-study-shows-black-and-white-children-biased-toward-lighter-skin/comment-page-2/

emilysmom1966

Comment by emilysmom1966 (original poster) at 9:02 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• That article really made me sad. My child knows better. We live in Atlanta & DD goes to a very high class school where about %30 of the kids are black & about %20 asian surprisingly. She goes to an extremely diverse school. She has always had close friends of all kinds of races & would never in a million years judge someone by the color of their skin. That is just aweful! It really makes you wonder where these kids are picking this stuff up from.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:11 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I'm of mixed race, as are my children. If a parent wants their child to appreciate or embrace their heritage, the responsibility belongs to the parent. It does not belong to a retailer.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 9:12 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I dont care what race the doll is that I am buying my daughter. I got my daughter a tinker bell doll, the white one and a black one (dont know their names), Tiana and whatever doll she likes. If I am only buying her a certain race its not showing her diversity and if I only buy her one race its showing her that one is superior to the other or that she should only identify with one and only play with one.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 9:12 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• As the mother of 2 black children and one white our dolls come in every color. I was so excited when The Princess and the Frog came out. We all went to see it right away. I was so disapointed :0( But kids loved it and that what matters most. It just sadens me that the only princess that looks like my daughter was a frog for 90% of the movie. I feel ya OP! I know P. Pines well and it is definately not very diverse, but Miami is and I have a hard time finding dolls of color myself. I was told that out of a 100 doll shipment they may have 5 that are black or ethnic and the rest are white. Your best bet is to find out when the shipments are put out and be the first one there to get what you kneed! Good luck :0)
    sillytime

Answer by sillytime at 9:21 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• I appreciate all your answers, but it doesn't negate the fact that I was very careful not to focus on race with her but somehow some where she picked it up. Parents can ignore this issue but it exist. It will come out when you least expect it. I am sure if all the dolls in your store where black ,Asian, Native American, someone would have a problem with it. I can't understand why some of you don't understand.......

We can also say that retails are not responsible for  the rage of the latest  wii toy or iphone- it is only up to the parent- that would be an untruth. The Retail industry does influence us all. It dictates how we eat, how we smell, what we wear, and the music we listen to. It amazes me that someone should say it is only up to the parents. The media has shown time and time again that parents influence is not %100 .

emilysmom1966

Comment by emilysmom1966 (original poster) at 9:22 AM on Dec. 19, 2010